Lump in copperband's gill

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Marginalis Butterflyfish (basically a copperband) that appears to have a silverfish tumor looking thing in one of his gills. I first noticed it several weeks ago when he looked to be breathing more rapidly. I think it has gotten a bit bigger since then.

Other than the lump and heavy breathing he still vigorously eats and goes about his day normally. I have had him for 2 years and is probably the most important fish in the tank keeping aptasia away. There is no ick/velvet or any other diseases I am aware of in my tank, all fish went through full copper QT and there have been no new additions (or losses) in 18 months.

My first thought is to try a ruby reef rally bath. But this looks to be bigger than a fluke. Here is a video I tried getting it as best that I could (apologies for loud kids). I would really appreciate any advice.

copperband.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a Marginalis Butterflyfish (basically a copperband) that appears to have a silverfish tumor looking thing in one of his gills. I first noticed it several weeks ago when he looked to be breathing more rapidly. I think it has gotten a bit bigger since then.

Other than the lump and heavy breathing he still vigorously eats and goes about his day normally. I have had him for 2 years and is probably the most important fish in the tank keeping aptasia away. There is no ick/velvet or any other diseases I am aware of in my tank, all fish went through full copper QT and there have been no new additions (or losses) in 18 months.

My first thought is to try a ruby reef rally bath. But this looks to be bigger than a fluke. Here is a video I tried getting it as best that I could (apologies for loud kids). I would really appreciate any advice.

copperband.jpg

It may be uneaten food but I am suspecting a parasitic isopod. If it it and that is IF- Generally a 5 minute freshwater dip same temp as display tank would dislodge it , but with the heavy breathing from fish, a FW dip now becomes a risk, however adding an airstone would reduce risk.
I dont get too internal with this type of issue, but i'll get @Jay Hemdal to chime in

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be uneaten food but I am suspecting a parasitic isopod. If it it and that is IF- Generally a 5 minute freshwater dip same temp as display tank would dislodge it , but with the heavy breathing from fish, a FW dip now becomes a risk, however adding an airstone would reduce risk.
I dont get too internal with this type of issue, but i'll get @Jay Hemdal to chime in
That was going to be exactly what I thought it was. Ive seen countless of them on fish in the wild, and with most copperbands was probably wild caught.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for it to take 2.5 years between being caught and the parasite manifesting itself though?
Now that I doubt, but I know ive seen a few threads on here of parasitic isopods hitchiking in on corals and rock. I know @Jay Hemdal chimed in for sure on that one, I believe it was a clown that had them.

I personally use two dips on corals, and have still seen amphipods live sometimes, So im sure there is always an outlier. Not saying in your case this is for sure an isopod, but just stating the possibility.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is it possible for it to take 2.5 years between the copperband being caught and the parasite manifesting itself though?
these parasites which favor gills for food source are opportunistic and will find a fish eventually to hide within.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’ve had the fish for 2 1/2 years, it isn’t a copepod or isopod. My opinion is that this is hyperthyroidism, goiter…either that or a neoplasm of the same tissue. The thyroid in fish is right between the gill covers. When you see a growth there, it always seems to be one of those two things. They are not treatable. That the fish is breathing hard/fast, it implies either that tissue has gotten infected, or the growths are now involving the gill tissue - sorry!
Jay

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 you've both seen this before and commented on it - my cbb!

Note, no dips worked for me. Even the lfs was like 'what the heck'

OP
OP
blitzkragz

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 you've both seen this before and commented on it - my cbb!

Note, no dips worked for me. Even the lfs was like 'what the heck'
My situation is literally the exact same as yours @Biff0rz Can you let us know if your cbb is still alive? If so, is there any trace of the lump left? Ultimately was the solution to pop the thing?

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My situation is literally the exact same as yours @Biff0rz Can you let us know if your cbb is still alive? If so, is there any trace of the lump left? Ultimately was the solution to pop the thing?
Yea, it looks 100% the same although yours is inset into the gill further than on my cbb, it was more protruding. None of the dips or things worked so don't stress your cbb with those - is it eating? If so, continue that obv. What worked for me was my triggerfish bit/nipped at it and it popped it. I was feeding my cbb out of his feeder and the trigger is always trying to get in there and must have thought the 'thing' was a snack and went for it. Now, it was scary as all heck when that happened. My cbb was stunned and stuff gushed out of his gill. Then he became still and went to the bottom and laid down on a rock. I thought he was a goner. I called the wife/kids down to say goodbye. 30m later he was up and about hunting for pods. I wish I had more advice for you.

oh and as of today, no trace of it

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's video of it just after the trigger bit it

I'm kinda shocked I got it on video lol. But you can see stuff flowing out of his gills that is NOT food. After he ate is when he went and laid down and freaked me out. You can also see his breathing was way high.

OP
OP
blitzkragz

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, it looks 100% the same although yours is inset into the gill further than on my cbb, it was more protruding. None of the dips or things worked so don't stress your cbb with those - is it eating? If so, continue that obv. What worked for me was my triggerfish bit/nipped at it and it popped it. I was feeding my cbb out of his feeder and the trigger is always trying to get in there and must have thought the 'thing' was a snack and went for it. Now, it was scary as all heck when that happened. My cbb was stunned and stuff gushed out of his gill. Then he became still and went to the bottom and laid down on a rock. I thought he was a goner. I called the wife/kids down to say goodbye. 30m later he was up and about hunting for pods. I wish I had more advice for you.

oh and as of today, no trace of it
Dude thank you so much for sharing this, that is really awesome news that your cbb made it through. "Pinocchio" is literally my favorite fish and my kids love him too.

I am totally convinced that whatever it was in yours is the exact same thing as mine, symptoms and fish are literally identical. Not sure how the fish docs didn't make that connection? Mine isn't quite as big as yours was so maybe it will get bigger and pop on its own. Other than heavier breathing, he is behaving as normal actively hunting for food, eating like a pig, and following me around.

I contacted humblefish and he recommended to wait and see. He said it could be a viral nodule (lympho) that when burst will shed the virus into the water. Mine is deeper in there and I don't think any of his tankmates would have a bite capable of popping it. Given your positive outcome, if mine gets too bad I imagine I am going to need to figure out a way to like stick a pin in it or lance it in a qt tank.

I couldn't find any documented case of a similar looking cyst on any other fish, they were all totally different (even photos of lympho). Maybe copperbands have some sort of special gill or gland structure that makes them prone to this? Who knows, but I'll post any updates as they occur.

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's doing great, acts like nothing ever happened.
That's great to hear.
Unfortunately, my CBB is suffering the same issue.
However, it is tucked in and doesn't protrude past the gill plate.
Also, I do not have a resident trigger as a surgeon!

It is otherwise behaving normal, has good appetite and feeding behavior, though a bit slimmer than I'd prefer and swims normal as well. However is exhibiting fast breathing and of course the visible "lump" on the gill.

Not sure how to proceed from here. I have had this CBB for several years and want to provide it with a long life.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's great to hear.
Unfortunately, my CBB is suffering the same issue.
However, it is tucked in and doesn't protrude past the gill plate.
Also, I do not have a resident trigger as a surgeon!

It is otherwise behaving normal, has good appetite and feeding behavior, though a bit slimmer than I'd prefer and swims normal as well. However is exhibiting fast breathing and of course the visible "lump" on the gill.

Not sure how to proceed from here. I have had this CBB for several years and want to provide it with a long life.
Let's see a pic (I know, can be very hard to get a pic). I DID do a Fw dip. Be warned, this is super stressful for a stressed fish. My cbb laid on his side for a bit once back in the tank, was scary as heck.

A Fw dip might help if it's something else that others described.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back