Lunar lights - should I?

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the fence of adding lunar lights. Just got an Apex and was thinking about adding the lunar module.
My tank is 60" wide and 24" deep. Currently i have 2x radion xr30pro g4's over the tank. They are dialed down to 60% max using the AB+ setting. Controlling detritus on the sand is the hardest thing for me. I don't want to add to that with extra lighting.
Using the radion's for lunar lighting I find to be too strong and it contributes to detritus.
I have a few Q's

Is the lunar module worth it for Apex? Are lunar lights good for anything besides night time viewing?
Would you recommend the 2 light strip or the 3 light strip for my size tank?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's something my wife would say.
But I would answer its negligible. Since each light is like 4 watts.
i would say you're wife is a smart lady.
the only reason i've read for lunar lighting is possible spawning stimulation.

Last edited:

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would ay you're wife is a smart lady.
the only reason i've read for lunar lighting is possible spawning stimulation.
That's why I run mine, and do it on the lunar cycle. My inverts usually all molt around the same time, too. I think mine is set at 10% for full moon.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added an lsm and 3 led string to my tank a few nights ago. I only wanted it for the look at night but supposedly there are some animals that will respond to moon cycles in regards to spawning events.
The cost of electricity is negligible were talking pennies a month. I don't know why it would effect the collection of detritus though.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water changes once a week or every 2 weeks since I have a nano, so they'd be molting a lot of it was water changes!
not every wc. of course it has to do with feeding/growth.
but when they do it's right after a wc. i don't dose ca, so maybe it's the increase with a wc.

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water changes are a little different. I use NSW from a marine science lab nearby (Whitney Laboratory for Marine Bioscience) that has a pipe which goes out about 2 miles into the Atlantic Ocean.
Its used for all their creatures including sea turtles and a large salt water pond with local fish. Also provides water to a dolphin aquarium across the street from it.
They allow anyone to come with containers to get water.
Most reef keepers in my area use that water source for water changes with great results. Its pretty cool and convenient.
The only issue is sometimes the salinity varies so I need to always be sure to either add some RODI water or add a little salt to it and let it sit for a bit before adding.

So to summarize - my water changes are quite frequent. :)

I've also read about the benefit to spawning before. But didn't really see any proof to back it up.
I suppose I can get the 3 light string and cover one up if its too much light.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water changes are a little different. I use NSW from a marine science lab nearby (Whitney Laboratory for Marine Bioscience) that has a pipe which goes out about 2 miles into the Atlantic Ocean. Its used for all their creatures including sea turtles and a large salt water pond with local fish. Also provides water to a dolphin aquarium across the street from it. Most reef keepers in my area use that water source for water changes with great results. Its pretty cool and convenient.
So my water changes are quite frequent.
I've also read about the benefit to spawning before. But didn't really see any proof to back it up.
I suppose I can get the 3 light string and cover one up if its too much light.
Well that's awesome for water changes. If you want tonight I can take a picture of how my 6' 125g tank looks with 3 leds on it and post the picture if you think it may help with your decision.

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's awesome for water changes. If you want tonight I can take a picture of how my 6' 125g tank looks with 3 leds on it and post the picture if you think it may help with your decision.
If you can do that it would be awesome!
Your tank has the same volume as mine but is much wider.
Mine is also 125g but is 5' wide.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can do that it would be awesome!
Your tank has the same volume as mine but is much wider.
Mine is also 125g but is 5' wide.

Sure I'll post some pictures either late tonight or early tomorrow morning. When I was trying to decide on the lsm there was another user who did the same thing for me.
I don't have mine on a moon cycle yet (I've literally only had them a few days) so they are currently just set to come on and off at specific times. I'll change the intensity to a few different percentages so you can see how it looks at different intensities. I believe you can set a max intensity even on a moon cycle, so if 3 lights is too much you should be able to just turn them down instead of covering an led.

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure I'll post some pictures either late tonight or early tomorrow morning. When I was trying to decide on the lsm there was another user who did the same thing for me.
I don't have mine on a moon cycle yet (I've literally only had them a few days) so they are currently just set to come on and off at specific times. I'll change the intensity to a few different percentages so you can see how it looks at different intensities. I believe you can set a max intensity even on a moon cycle, so if 3 lights is too much you should be able to just turn them down instead of covering an led.
Thank you!
Now to figure out why none of the $10 off coupons i got from BRS over black Friday week orders are not working.
I have like 5 of them and none work...

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum advertised price. It is basically the items that the manufacturer won't allow vendors to reduce the price on. They're usually only on sale a few times a year and it's the manufacturer that determines the sale.
A lot of the big name companies use MAP pricing including Neptune Systems.
That is why when you look at Neptune stuff it's always the same price from every website.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back