Luxdium Replacement LED Pucks for AI Prime & Hydra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AI Prime and Hydra line of lights are arguably some of the most popular LED aquarium lights the hobby has ever enjoyed, and a new company is planning to extend the lives of older models. Luxdium has been in pseudo stealth mode for over a year creating the first replacement LED pucks for primes…
Source

Continue reading...

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hopefully, they will be coming out with versions for the Hydray 32HD in the future!

LUX Engine does not support recessed lens 16-multiple light fixtures (16HD, 32HD, and 64HD).

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hopefully, they will be coming out with versions for the Hydray 32HD in the future!

LUX Engine does not support recessed lens 16-multiple light fixtures (16HD, 32HD, and 64HD).
the moment they support the hydra32HD's they can take all my money.

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have the @luxdium pucks installed yet? It would be great to see some tank pictures and know which of the three pucks were used.

We've been ramping up production and have just begun shipping out preorders, and as people are installing them you can expect to see more in the wild in the coming weeks.

There's already a build thread going on here where our Gold pucks have been installed: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/schgs-ultum-nature-systems-45u.923477/page-2

There are probably other builds and installs outside R2R, but that's the one I'm currently aware of on R2R.

Otherwise, we have some pictures of our beta testers' tanks on our Colored By LUX page and a video on our YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/luxdium

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We've been ramping up production and have just begun shipping out preorders, and as people are installing them you can expect to see more in the wild in the coming weeks.

There's already a build thread going on here where our Gold pucks have been installed: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/schgs-ultum-nature-systems-45u.923477/page-2

There are probably other builds and installs outside R2R, but that's the one I'm currently aware of on R2R.

Otherwise, we have some pictures of our beta testers' tanks on our Colored By LUX page and a video on our YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/luxdium
Thank you for the links!

Now how about those 32HD's? LOL

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be negative or anything. After visiting the site; I still don’t quite understand what makes these better than the standard clusters (spectrum wise). If someone could take the time and explain it to me it would be appreciated. I would like to “mod” my lights but I am not quite convinced on why.

1661010636199.gif

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not to be negative or anything. After visiting the site; I still don’t quite understand what makes these better than the standard clusters (spectrum wise). If someone could take the time and explain it to me it would be appreciated. I would like to “mod” my lights but I am not quite convinced on why.

1661010636199.gif
Maybe reread the homepage of their website. Similar to the Radion (Pro vs Blue), you have three different spectral clusters from which to choose. The UV runs quite a bit cooler, so you won't have to replace the lenses as often from melting. There's more utilized power when running an AB+ spectrum, etc. Not sure on price difference.

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1661010636199.gif

Let's first ask, what do you expect from a light?

Lighting should be: simple, powerful, and customizable.

With sliders and a lack of guidance, people resort to a variety of sources to tune their lights. This creates problems of its own as no two lights and tanks are alike. With enough variances at the LED level, variability can quickly turn "plug and play" into "slide and pray."

Schedule.png
Variability.png

To mitigate this, we took away the guesswork associated with tuning the right spectrum by shipping each cluster with a set of spectrometer verified presets to help you make the most of the upgrades. LUX Engine is also built with tighter binning standards to ensure more consistency in spectral quality (every single cluster is tested for spectrum).

Spectral Verification.png

When people set their lights with the stock clusters, depending on the spectrum, a significant amount of power is lost to tuning. With red, green, and cool white sliders that get underutilized, a 55W AI Prime HD gets reduced to a 29W light when tuned to a mimic of the AB+ spectrum.

Prime AB+.png

By unifying the whites in LUX Engine, we incorporate the benefits of red and green without delivering a distracting red “disco.” This also allows us to free up space on the clusters to incorporate more useful colors.

Spectral Caustics.png

The updates to the clusters enable the lights to emit versions of AB+ spectra with ease without resorting to tuning sliders beyond 100%. But we couldn’t stop there. We made changes to AB+ to improve its spectral quality in ways that exceed many of the flagships, with broader blues, richer whites, and stronger violets that improve fluorescence. All of this is possible when our clusters sense they’re being driven at the same proportionate intensities.

AB+ by Various Lights.png

Lastly, coral have a diversity of chlorophylls and accessory pigments. Creating a narrow band blue spectrum would rely too much on the specimens chromatically adapting. Thus, we chose to further tune our clusters to deliver our optimized spectra that blanket virtually all important pigments, exceeding the spectral breadth of successful T5HO arrays.

Extinction Spectrum.png

Two years of trials produced more options for customizability with not one, not two, but three color variants (Blue, Cyan, and Gold) to further tune the lights to your visual preferences. Whether you prefer more blue or more white, there's a cluster for you.

When you upgrade to LUX Engine, you get an improved color palette, more power at spectrum, and perhaps less "slide and pray."

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still working on them, we want them to be 100% before releasing anything. The 26HDs upgraded to LUX Engine pack a pretty strong punch.
Just let me know if you need a Beta tester. ;)

I have no 26's, but four 32HD's. Been looking for used 26HD's for a second tank to utilize the Lux engines.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's first ask, what do you expect from a light?

Lighting should be: simple, powerful, and customizable.

With sliders and a lack of guidance, people resort to a variety of sources to tune their lights. This creates problems of its own as no two lights and tanks are alike. With enough variances at the LED level, variability can quickly turn "plug and play" into "slide and pray."

Schedule.png
Variability.png

To mitigate this, we took away the guesswork associated with tuning the right spectrum by shipping each cluster with a set of spectrometer verified presets to help you make the most of the upgrades. LUX Engine is also built with tighter binning standards to ensure more consistency in spectral quality (every single cluster is tested for spectrum).

Spectral Verification.png

When people set their lights with the stock clusters, depending on the spectrum, a significant amount of power is lost to tuning. With red, green, and cool white sliders that get underutilized, a 55W AI Prime HD gets reduced to a 29W light when tuned to a mimic of the AB+ spectrum.

Prime AB+.png

By unifying the whites in LUX Engine, we incorporate the benefits of red and green without delivering a distracting red “disco.” This also allows us to free up space on the clusters to incorporate more useful colors.

Spectral Caustics.png

The updates to the clusters enable the lights to emit versions of AB+ spectra with ease without resorting to tuning sliders beyond 100%. But we couldn’t stop there. We made changes to AB+ to improve its spectral quality in ways that exceed many of the flagships, with broader blues, richer whites, and stronger violets that improve fluorescence. All of this is possible when our clusters sense they’re being driven at the same proportionate intensities.

AB+ by Various Lights.png

Lastly, coral have a diversity of chlorophylls and accessory pigments. Creating a narrow band blue spectrum would rely too much on the specimens chromatically adapting. Thus, we chose to further tune our clusters to deliver our optimized spectra that blanket virtually all important pigments, exceeding the spectral breadth of successful T5HO arrays.

Extinction Spectrum.png

Two years of trials produced more options for customizability with not one, not two, but three color variants (Blue, Cyan, and Gold) to further tune the lights to your visual preferences. Whether you prefer more blue or more white, there's a cluster for you.

When you upgrade to LUX Engine, you get an improved color palette, more power at spectrum, and perhaps less "slide and pray."
And you sir just earned yourself a customer.
I will be upgrading my prime hd along with the 16 and 32 once you have pucks available for these two. I am interested in the gold. Do you have an image of a tank lit using those? Just to help me have an idea on how it would look like.

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you sir just earned yourself a customer.
I will be upgrading my prime hd along with the 16 and 32 once you have pucks available for these two. I am interested in the gold. Do you have an image of a tank lit using those? Just to help me have an idea on how it would look like.

On our Instagram, we have a visual comparison of a Prime HD running LUX Engine Gold:

If you want to see a video of a tank running our pucks for a while (since 2020), then we have this video created by one of our beta testers:

This is an IM 25 Lagoon running 3 Prime HDs upgraded to LUX Engine Gold with the Ultra Blue Preset.

20220219_175447.jpg

Unfortunately, the 16HD will never get an upgrade path through pucks. For this model, AI took a monolithic design approach where everything's on one board (drivers + LEDs + controls).

Can't exactly say what we have in store, but we'll do something very different for those. ;)

Comparison.JPG

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On our Instagram, we have a visual comparison of a Prime HD running LUX Engine Gold:

If you want to see a video of a tank running our pucks for a while (since 2020), then we have this video created by one of our beta testers:

This is an IM 25 Lagoon running 3 Prime HDs upgraded to LUX Engine Gold with the Ultra Blue Preset.

20220219_175447.jpg

Unfortunately, the 16HD will never get an upgrade path through pucks. For this model, AI took a monolithic design approach where everything's on one board (drivers + LEDs + controls).

Can't exactly say what we have in store, but we'll do something very different for those. ;)

Comparison.JPG

Looks great! Keep us updated on when the 16 and 32 versions come out!

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picked up one (initially) 26HD for my backup tank, so ready to place an order. Torn between the Gold and the Blue puck configuration. Will the Blue puck only allow for a 'Windex' look or is there enough white to balance it out? Overall, leaning toward the Gold, but it would be nice to see some FTS of the Blue puck.

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gold is more "full spectrum" than blue and allows the most freedom of adjusting the white balance (in case you prefer the tank to be on the whiter side). Blue is Blue/Violet heavy and is intended for those who prefer more deep blues. The infamous "Windex effect" comes from the mid-range spectrum (~480-575nm), but is balanced by our clusters' enhanced representation in the high-energy wavebands.

Overall, the pucks share a core spectrum with each other, and it's just how the colors are distributed. From a spectral standpoint, when the pucks sense they're being driven at or close to all channels equal, they all emit versions of AB+, but the Blues emit it with reduced whites and a broader blue-violet range. For a quick comparison with some contemporary lights, here's an overlay with the latest G6 Blue (outlined).

AB+ LUX Engine Blue.png

On Instagram, @noah_reefs has been running the Blue variant over his tank for a while now (more than 1 year). Blues definitely look better in phone camera pictures with gel filters, but they allow for the most visible "pop," since the whites are so low.

Other than looks, the type of coral you're keeping may also tilt the balance in favor of the "better" choice. If you're growing shallow water SPS, or any corals which prefer more white light or have nonfluorescent chromoproteins (eg. pinks), then Gold might be marginally better as its capability to emit a stronger daylight spectrum may be beneficial.

Lastly, if you're running multiple lights, and later down the road, you decide you want it bluer or more white you can always mix the clusters.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lastly, if you're running multiple lights, and later down the road, you decide you want it bluer or more white you can always mix the clusters.

Thanks for the prompt reply! So, you could have a Gold puck and a Blue puck in one 26HD?

The tank is Acropora dominant, but I don't want it so heavily blue like so many we see today. Although I certainly want corals to pop.

I've compared the three to realize the center three diodes (d6, d7, d8) are the difference. Gold versus Cyan is just that one diode d7 (TruTone vs Cyan) which is different between those two as they both have the two CW diodes on each side.

Last edited:

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the prompt reply! So, you could have a Gold puck and a Blue puck in one 26HD?

The tank is Acropora dominant, but I don't want it so heavily blue like so many we see today. Although I certainly want corals to pop.

I've compared the three to realize the center three diodes (d6, d7, d8) are the difference. Gold versus Cyan is just that one diode d7 (TruTone vs Cyan) which is different between those two as they both have the two CW diodes on each side.
Sorry for the confusion. By "mixing the clusters," I meant having one light being Blue and the other being Gold. Mixing different clusters in the same light would alter the color balance and that would ultimately make controlling them difficult.

Gold will certainly make them pop, but you'll have to turn the whites down a little to see the fluorescence.

Yes, the difference mainly lies in the center diodes. If you look at https://www.luxdium.com/collections/all and go through the color options, there are pictures of each of the channels taken by an SLR. Cyan is probably the most unique in that the center LED, D7, is independently controllable so you can independently adjust the Cyan balance.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@luxdium, how are the presets ( OPT3, ULBL, SPS AB+ ) applied? Are they uploaded via the AI app or firmware?

Ordering Monday, but still undecided on the spectrum. There are pink, green, yellow, red and purple Acros in the tank, so each of the three options speaks to them individually. I'll be happy to post pictures from whatever puck is chosen.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back