Luxdium Replacement LED Pucks for AI Prime & Hydra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@luxdium, how are the presets ( OPT3, ULBL, SPS AB+ ) applied? Are they uploaded via the AI app or firmware?

Ordering Monday, but still undecided on the spectrum. There are pink, green, yellow, red and purple Acros in the tank, so each of the three options speaks to them individually. I'll be happy to post pictures from whatever puck is chosen.

Since nothing in the lights changes apart from the LEDs and their thermal substrate, the lights will behave like you're used to. This is perhaps one of the nice things with this kind of upgrade. Nothing drastic changes about the app or control interface. myAI works, AI Cloud works (you can control them from anywhere on the planet), and Neptune Systems IoTa will also work.

The verified presets work by either you adjusting the sliders to the ratios or by uploading the preset files to the light.

Maybe if you could share some settings you like, I could recommend which cluster might be best for you?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to know, thank you for the insight!

Currently, my Hydra 32HD's are running a modified Saxby configuration augmented by ATI Blue Plus and Super Actinic T5's.

myAI Schedule July 2022.jpg

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an owner of 7 AI Prime HD lights, this greatly interests me. It looks like the gold light will be my preference as I like the purples and pinks to pop more. What's the point of coralline covered rocks if you can't tell they're coralline covered or purple corals if they're washed out by the blues? It's awesome that you'll be sending out presets with them so we don't have to wonder what spectrum we'll be using. I will be purchasing 4 these today to upgrade my 40b. I'll get more after I've been able to use these for awhile.

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, thank you for the insight!

Currently, my Hydra 32HD's are running a modified Saxby configuration augmented by ATI Blue Plus and Super Actinic T5's.

myAI Schedule July 2022.jpg

Judging by the amount of green and cool white, Gold would likely be your better option to achieve a similar look, especially considering you're currently supplementing them with a T5HO array which would deliver a little more violet.

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220828-080333_Gmail.jpg

Looking forward to this.

Thanks a ton for your preorder! We'll get yours ready as soon as possible. We're currently manufacturing a new batch of thermal substrates. So we can expect to ship in another week or so.

Raw Substrates.JPG

One of the neat things about our clusters is we handle production almost 100% in-house. This allows us to verify quality at every step of the process, even before the clusters are capable of supporting a single LED.

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused as how a startup can better fulfill the needs of the corals required spectrum than a seasoned manufacturer with more resources. Well done! You Makes me wish I bought some of these in the past.

With minimal distractions, we can channel nearly all our resources to develop better spectra and clusters. Most of LUX Engine's development was sparked during the beginning of the pandemic when things were getting locked down. Conventional manufacturers would struggle harder in such dynamic times, but we're a little more nimble, allowing us to adapt to the situation. We took part shortages as an opportunity to in-house more aspects of development and work closer with LED manufacturers to customize our chips.

We've only just begun. With any luck, we hope to grow and make even better things.

Last edited:

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Judging by the amount of green and cool white, Gold would likely be your better option to achieve a similar look, especially considering you're currently supplementing them with a T5HO array which would deliver a little more violet.

That is my Hydra 32HD configuration. I just picked up a 26 HD for my other tank and am ordering for that one. Was going to mimic that configuration. Regardless, I think the Gold is the best option overall for what I am shooting for...so I just ordered two Gold pucks. ;)

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been beta testing these pucks since very early on (over 2 years now). I run multiple HDs over multiple tanks, all with the "Gold" pucks. I'm growing (and have been growing) anemones, softies, and LPS with spectacular results using a personally modded "Optimized III" schedule.

I just picked up another tank, so I'll be ordering some more pucks soon. :D

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been beta testing these pucks since very early on (over 2 years now). I run multiple HDs over multiple tanks, all with the "Gold" pucks. I'm growing (and have been growing) anemones, softies, and LPS with spectacular results using a personally modded "Optimized III" schedule.

I just picked up another tank, so I'll be ordering some more pucks soon. :D

I will add this...

If I was doing it again, I would probably get the Blue pucks for a dedicated LPS/softie tank. I run Gold pucks for that application, but I still turn the whites down quite a bit. The Blue pucks would give me even more usable PAR in the spectrum I want for LPS/softies. That being said, I only run my Gold pucks at 65% peak (or less) on that tank, so it's not like I'm leaving anything "on the table" as they say.

For anemones and SPS, I like to run the whites higher during the peak of the day. I run a schedule based on the WWC method of having whites ramp up and down for a 4-5 hour period in the middle of the 12-hour photoperiod. The "white" channel on the Gold puck is awesome for rendering colors and looking "natural", so I'd definitely stick to those pucks in those applications.

I guess my point is this: If you have some sort of specific need (highlighting certain colors) or specific application (dedicated softie/LPS tank) for the Blue or Cyan pucks, go for the Gold! They can do it all! :D

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on the status of preorders:

On Friday, we dropped off our larger quantity preorders. Because of Labor Day, they should be reaching their destinations today. With those preorders on their way, we'll move on to shipping the Hydra clusters this week, with emphasis on the Gold variants. A new batch of Prime clusters is entering manufacturing as soon as we work out some things with our pick and place machine.

We're also finalizing international shipping options, so once preorders end, we should be ready to ship overseas again (our beta spanned 8 countries).

Last edited:

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
An update on the status of preorders:

On Friday, we dropped off our larger quantity preorders. Because of Labor Day, they should be reaching their destinations today. With those preorders on their way, we'll move on to shipping the Hydra clusters this week, with emphasis on the Gold variants. A new batch of Prime clusters is entering manufacturing as soon as we work out some things with our pick and place machine.

We're also finalizing international shipping options, so once preorders end, we should be ready to ship overseas again (our beta spanned 8 countries).
Thank you for the update!

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of writing, all 26HD and 52HD cluster upgrade kit pre-orders placed between 8/24 and 8/31 should be on their way to make this weekend an upgrade weekend. We're getting the next few batches of Primes ready, so those will begin shipping as soon as they finish their testing phases.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As of writing, all 26HD and 52HD cluster upgrade kit pre-orders placed between 8/24 and 8/31 should be on their way to make this weekend an upgrade weekend. We're getting the next few batches of Primes ready, so those will begin shipping as soon as they finish their testing phases.
My Gold pucks are on the way; looking forward to the upgrade!

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe reread the homepage of their website. Similar to the Radion (Pro vs Blue), you have three different spectral clusters from which to choose. The UV runs quite a bit cooler, so you won't have to replace the lenses as often from melting. There's more utilized power when running an AB+ spectrum, etc. Not sure on price difference.
My two month old Hydra 32 HD started to show signs of lens melting (plastic became shinny). The light has not gotten any kind of splash, it is running at 85% tops, the fan is working, etc. I don't want having to replace these plastic lens covers all the time. Is there any solution to mitigate this? Perhaps a third party lens made of pyrex glass?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My two month old Hydra 32 HD started to show signs of lens melting (plastic became shinny). The light has not gotten any kind of splash, it is running at 85% tops, the fan is working, etc. I don't want having to replace these plastic lens covers all the time. Is there any solution to mitigate this? Perhaps a third party lens made of pyrex glass?

Good question, I have not seen any aftermarket replacement lenses and AI usually does not warrant the lens. Make sure you don't have any water splash droplets hitting the lens as I have heard that can cause issues. Mine took about a year before the UV and Violet (or Royal Blue?) burned through. AI shipping is pricey (~$14), but they are very quick and ship FedEx in about two days. Also, not sure how high you are running the UV and Violet; mine top out at 105 max.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question, I have not seen any aftermarket replacement lenses and AI usually does not warrant the lens. Make sure you don't have any water splash droplets hitting the lens as I have heard that can cause issues. Mine took about a year before the UV and Violet (or Royal Blue?) burned through. AI shipping is pricey (~$14), but they are very quick and ship FedEx in about two days. Also, not sure how high you are running the UV and Violet; mine top out at 105 max.
Mine is only 2 months old, is about 12" high and definitely not getting ANY splash, mist, etc. whatsoever. No channel exceeds 85%. Perhaps the lens was already "shinny" (not matte like the others) since the beginning and I did not notice. I ordered some spare lens, but it is sad that these lights have this design flaw. If it happens so often, it is definitely a design flaw that should be addressed by the manufacturer. A mod would be great.

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The percentage UV is run does not correlate with melting or depolymerization of the optics. Optics will melt equally at 75% or at 220% We conducted an observational study on lens melt along with an experimental study, and to summarize, the biggest factor by far is increased heat buildup at the optical surface combined with the presence of foreign objects such as salt and dust. For LED failure, it's elevated junction temperature that serves as the root cause. By employing improved thermal designs, our clusters' UV emitters run about 10ºC less than the stock ones.

The AI 16-multiple lenses are unfortunately more prone to melt by virtue of the thinness of the optics and the density of the LEDs. With smaller optics, even the tiniest droplets are enough to start depolymerization. Controlling the beam angles with the aid of optics also elevates the surface temperatures as the culminated light focus like mini magnifying glasses.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The percentage UV is run does not correlate with melting or depolymerization of the optics. Optics will melt equally at 75% or at 220% We conducted an observational study on lens melt along with an experimental study, and to summarize, the biggest factor by far is increased heat buildup at the optical surface combined with the presence of foreign objects such as salt and dust. For LED failure, it's elevated junction temperature that serves as the root cause. By employing improved thermal designs, our clusters' UV emitters run about 10ºC less than the stock ones.

The AI 16-multiple lenses are unfortunately more prone to melt by virtue of the thinness of the optics and the density of the LEDs. With smaller optics, even the tiniest droplets are enough to start depolymerization. Controlling the beam angles with the aid of optics also elevates the surface temperatures as the culminated light focus like mini magnifying glasses.
Thank you for the detail! Although I have not owned the Hydra 26HD very long, that lens seems fine. It's the 32HD lenses (AI 16) which seem to suffer and it is understandable since they are much thinner, etc.

On a side note, my Gold pucks are arriving today, unexpectedly! So, I'll be upgrading this evening. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back