Lyretail Anthias eating prepared foods?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have always spit out at first, but once they get used to them they seem to love pellets.

I start w/ soaking pellets mixed w/ mysis to soften them up some and maybe add mysis flavor, but later they will take them right from my autofeeder.
This also seems to encourage more finicky anthia to eat them as a chase for food competition thing

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mistake the last time with lyretails was that I didn't "train" them to eat pellets first. I auto feed tank and NLS is the primary food due to my travels. Since I didn't train them in a separate QT they didn't know how to eat and complete in the DT. Sadly disappeared after several weeks.

Been on the fence for awhile to try again. Going through QT is a major PIA and has been the barrier for adding new fish. However I might just have to if I ever want anthias in the tank since I'll need to train while in QT.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Training to eat all the foods you feed is sooo necessary. I have had the same experience as you but with some not eating. The ones not trained to eat are the ones that died. It only takes a few days and I always kick myself later when I'm lazy doing it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back