Lyretail Anthias Metamorphosis

Formulator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2024
Messages
2,706
Reaction score
2,759
Location
Saint Louis, MO, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lyretail has been SLOWLY changing her colors as she becomes a he… I first noticed some spots of purple on fins back in early August. I’ve been taking periodic photos to document the metamorphosis and will continue to update this thread through the change. I found it surprising there is not much out there on this topic (at least that I could find). The pigment change is quite odd in that it seems to come in splotches rather than a uniform darkening like I would have guessed. It seems especially pronounced on the tail, near gills, and on fins, though if you look closely, all of the scales have a tinge of purple developing.

March 2024 (before start of metamorphosis):
IMG_3424.jpeg


August 29, 2024 (approx. start):
IMG_5284.jpeg


September 16, 2024:
IMG_5496.jpeg


October 1, 2024:
IMG_5624.jpeg


October 13, 2024:
IMG_5734.jpeg
 
My lyretail has been SLOWLY changing her colors as she becomes a he… I first noticed some spots of purple on fins back in early August. I’ve been taking periodic photos to document the metamorphosis and will continue to update this thread through the change. I found it surprising there is not much out there on this topic (at least that I could find). The pigment change is quite odd in that it seems to come in splotches rather than a uniform darkening like I would have guessed. It seems especially pronounced on the tail, near gills, and on fins, though if you look closely, all of the scales have a tinge of purple developing.

March 2024 (before start of metamorphosis):
IMG_3424.jpeg


August 29, 2024 (approx. start):
IMG_5284.jpeg


September 16, 2024:
IMG_5496.jpeg


October 1, 2024:
IMG_5624.jpeg


October 13, 2024:
IMG_5734.jpeg
Shes going to be pretty when its complete!
 
My did that and he was killed by the other male already in the tank
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new