Lyretail Wrasse eat red starfish ???

ankloss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have sins 2 years a Lyretail Wrasse, is now 7-8" and is the master of this tank. Other fish inside too (8).
I feeding by hand in morning and evening and use lunch time apex feeder. I think is no shortage of food.
Then I am back from work yesterday evening, my Wrasse not show up and stay under his rock, there he normally sleeping.
So I looking a round and can not see my red starfish. Even this morning nothing.
Questions , eat Wrasse starfish ?

Best regarding
Andreas
1552103776969.jpeg
1552103813699.jpeg

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never owned a moon wrasse for the very reason you are concerned about. My research into the species suggested that as they grow they become more aggressive and they will consume crustaceans, invertebrates, and small fish. That means snails, brittle stars, shrimps mussels, clams, and oysters are all on the menu - even if you feed carnivorous foods heavily. @evolved might be able to provide more first hand experience if he's around.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish are opportunists, while starfish aren’t a likely choice for a lunare wrasse it’s certainly possible that it ate them. They are relatively indiscriminate feeders.

OP
OP
ankloss

ankloss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never owned a moon wrasse for the very reason you are concerned about. My research into the species suggested that as they grow they become more aggressive and they will consume crustaceans, invertebrates, and small fish. That means snails, brittle stars, shrimps mussels, clams, and oysters are all on the menu - even if you feed carnivorous foods heavily. @evolved might be able to provide more first hand experience if he's around.
Hello okay thanks for your answer.
Andreas

OP
OP
ankloss

ankloss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish are opportunists, while starfish aren’t a likely choice for a lunare wrasse it’s certainly possible that it ate them. They are relatively indiscriminate feeders.
Hello thank you for answer.
So I have a problem now, but I like this wrasse a lot and he/see is funny .
Andreas

OP
OP
ankloss

ankloss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello question, will help it if I use a bigger tank ? Now I have 80 g, I know is to small, so i think to upgrade to a 180 g.
Andreas

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello question, will help it if I use a bigger tank ? Now I have 80 g, I know is to small, so i think to upgrade to a 180 g.

The lunar is probably full grown. In the wild the lunar can get much bigger, but in home aquariums they don't usually get over 7-8," so it is probably fine for your size tank; however, IMO the other large fish you have in the pictures will outgrow your tank. The hippo tang in your tank will grow to 12" or more. The Koran?Angelfish will get over a 12" as well. And these are only the fish that are visible in the picture. Do you have other fish that will grow large? A 6' long tank is recommended for large fish, especially tangs and fish that swim in open water over long distances. Keep in mind, aggression becomes much more of an issue when real estate is tight.

Wink-wink. :) If you start your build now, you can grow out the fish in the current tank and be ready for a transfer to the 180 gal in a year or so when the fish are bigger.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 45.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 71 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.4%
Back