MACNA 2020 in Phoenix?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised the announcement of the Phoenix MACNA was made before this year's in Orlando. Why would a west coast person on the fence about going to Florida go if they can wait a year and attend 'locally.' An early announcement made quite a stir (not in a good way) a few years ago. But now that MACNA has professional planners, I yield to their judgment.

ArizonaAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised the announcement of the Phoenix MACNA was made before this year's in Orlando. Why would a west coast person on the fence about going to Florida go if they can wait a year and attend 'locally.' An early announcement made quite a stir (not in a good way) a few years ago. But now that MACNA has professional planners, I yield to their judgment.
As am I. I would have assumed they wouldn't announce it until after this year's event, and I was shocked when I heard initially. I had the same thought of people maybe not going until next year now due to travel expenses. But, I am glad to see that they are choosing different cities not just major ones like LA or Orlando. Visited the MACNA booth at RAP Anaheim and they had posters and shirts already for sale.

Nonetheless, I will be there!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually this is the way it’s been done for years now. The week before MACNA the next years is announced. All the full conference tickets are sold and just the vendor hall day tickets are left. An hotel
Is booked up so there is not much some one could do to come at the last minute anyway.

ArizonaAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually this is the way it’s been done for years now. The week before MACNA the next years is announced. All the full conference tickets are sold and just the vendor hall day tickets are left. An hotel
Is booked up so there is not much some one could do to come at the last minute anyway.
It does kind of make sense since they were selling passes at RAP. True that they wouldn't have a booth for it without announcing it first.

As for passes, I personally didn't buy the full conference pass for Vegas last year anyway. And I definitely didn't stay at the designated hotel either. I almost bought the full conference pass for Phoenix, but figured I won't be making all 3 days anyway haha. At any show, I try to stay in a hotel slightly further away from the venue anyway, but that's just my personal preference since I like to explore around town:cool:

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stay at the hotel as there are so many different parties going on in the hotel that you miss out on the networking that goes on at the conference. Which is where the real conference is going on. But I have been going to them since MACNA 3.

ArizonaAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stay at the hotel as there are so many different parties going on in the hotel that you miss out on the networking that goes on at the conference. Which is where the real conference is going on. But I have been going to them since MACNA 3.
Trust me, I'd love to stay at the hotel and participate in all the functions. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending how you look at it) college keeps me pretty busy where I usually can't attend every event and I never know if I can go until the last minute anyway lol.

Vegas last year was my first MACNA, and I lived in Vegas for 10 years so I just stayed in a hotel closer to where all my friends and family live. Luckily for Phoenix I won't need to buy a hotel room, hopefully then I can make it to all 3 days:D

Michael Weismann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprised and not surprised they chose Phoenix. It's a vacation destination..sorta. Seems to me Scottsdale is the real destination in the Valley and would've been a better choice because of all the resorts. Going downtown is not one of my favorite things to do and the parking should be fun. I'm happy it's coming here, but It's a little surprising they chose a city with so few good LFSs. Am I the only one who thinks Phoenix is a LFS wasteland?

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy it's coming here, but It's a little surprising they chose a city with so few good LFSs. Am I the only one who thinks Phoenix is a LFS wasteland?

There are allot worse cities with less to offer. In the last 4 years I would say the numbers of stores have grown allot. When I first moved here 12 years ago there were only 2 that I could find. Now I know of 12.. good and bad.

Scottsdale offers no convention space like the downtown Phoenix center. Also I'm guessing the time of year Phoenix is a bargain to use.

Last edited:

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this today.. anyone hear about this?

03C8E8C2-6EAE-46D6-A0C3-F4D282ECD02D.png
Yep! I got my ticket as soon as they released them for sale. Super excited and cant wait.

Caggii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s HOT this time of year.
Yes it is usually a nice cool low of 100+ in the evening. This is super cool I’m just getting into the hobby and this happens in my backyard.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the tickets sell out or is it cheaper to buy tickets early?
The full conference pass has already increased from its introductory price, and it will keep going up periodically from here. Full conference passes tend to sell out at least a month ahead of MACNA. So if you want the full experience, buy now.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, no. I have been involved with MACNA since the 2014 show and this is the first year that next year's venue was intentionally announced before the current year's show started. Full conference passes are usually available at least up until a month or so before the show, but at higher prices than the special discounted prices for those who buy early (the total number of full conference passes available is usually limited by the number of people we can fit in the banquet hall). Hotel rooms in the conference room block at the discounted rate were also available up until a few weeks or a month before the show.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tickets are up to $169 sigh..... I bought mine this morning at that price.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back