MACNA in trouble

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow enthusiast,
I was looking at attending 2023 MACNA in Pittsburgh but a little concern with MACNA organization lately on the whole. Looking at their web site I noticed 1) you can't but tickets, 2) you can't make hotel reservation, 3) the links still jump you to 2022 for tickets,hotel and floor plan. I went to 2022 and to be honest wasn't overly impressed. There was a lack of attendance by a number of big vendors and after it was all said and done it was hard to justify the expense. Since 2023 is somewhat local for me I am willing to give it a shot but it only be 6 months away and its unclear to me if it even going to happen. I did contact MACNA ( via web site) but got back a generic stay tune. Message to MACNA if you want to continue at least my support you need to update the web page on what's going on.

OP
OP
A

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to a couple online vendors and both indicated that MACNA is gone. Sad

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since the Los Vegas show 2018, MACNA has had the worst luck, the next show in New Orleans an epic hurricane hits, the next show Florida another hurricane, and then the 1 2 punch, COVID.
These shows are expensive to put on, 5 bad years.

OP
OP
A

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since the Los Vegas show 2018, MACNA has had the worst luck, the next show in New Orleans an epic hurricane hits, the next show Florida another hurricane, and then the 1 2 punch, COVID.
These shows are expensive to put on, 5 bad years.
Yea I totally agree. I went to Milwaukee and it was okay not great. It’s a shame

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an equipment junkie and I went to the Las Vegas show and I really did not buy very much, I came back with with more than half the money I ear marked. Luckly I do not gamble. My big regrets, only after I left I heard that they had a big 80's concert there with a bunch of bands I like.

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the Milwaukee area and was super excited to have it in my backyard.
I was embarrassed with the turnout!
It was great to walk around with light crowds but for vendors it was a total bomb iMO!
Seems like some of the other shows are what hobbyists are looking for and supporting.

OP
OP
A

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would totally agree. I live in the east coast and flew out for it. The lack of turnout was disappointing. I am attending Reefstock and it appears it will have more vendors.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am excited for it since its going to only be 30min away. I always kicked myself for not going to MACNA back in like 2008 when it was in pittsburgh last. So even if its not great I still wanna check it out

OP
OP
A

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am excited for it since its going to only be 30min away. I always kicked myself for not going to MACNA back in like 2008 when it was in pittsburgh last. So even if its not great I still wanna check it out
Well I am unsure its going to happen. You can't buy tickets nor make hotel reservation. I contracted MACNA POC and was assured it was but I hoping it is but betting it won't its really only about 6 months away and there been really no activities and the web page link don't work they just lead you to 2022.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing about these shows is that they are a lot of work for the coral sellers and the equipment guys, usually you cannot buy to much equipment, but it used to be you could see the stuff that was not on any shelf of a LFS. There are more than a few that do not think there is any value in the shows, everyone is cutting back.

LOONEBIN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this week I sent an email through the MACNA website inquiring about this year’s conference. Today I received two responses. One stated MACNA 2023 will not be held due to circumstances beyond their control. The other said they would be releasing news and information in the next two weeks.

OP
OP
A

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Interesting I been talking to someone I reached via the same site and told me it was happening. I tend to believe the person who responded to you.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am unsure its going to happen. You can't buy tickets nor make hotel reservation. I contracted MACNA POC and was assured it was but I hoping it is but betting it won't its really only about 6 months away and there been really no activities and the web page link don't work they just lead you to 2022.
Our local club posted today that it was officially cancelled.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back