Macro Algae and Copper.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do macro algae like Cheato, consume copper in any sizable quantities? Specifically Seachem Cupramine. I am thinking about putting some in the sump of my QT, and want to make sure that it wont soak up the copper during treatment.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine is an unnatural form of copper in seawater. I've not seen any evidence that creatures take it up (or not).

Macroalgae do in general take up some copper.

I think you may just have to monitor it.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't the therapeutic level of copper kill the macro algae?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Nothing is ever easy. So what level is everyone running Cupramine at. I saw that minimal level .02 mg/L and that it becomes toxic at .08 mg/L. Surely, you want it somewhere in the middle. Although I would say on the lower end of the spectrum, just for safety.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Nothing is ever easy. So what level is everyone running Cupramine at. I saw that minimal level .02 mg/L and that it becomes toxic at .08 mg/L. Surely, you want it somewhere in the middle. Although I would say on the lower end of the spectrum, just for safety.

FWIW, that is 0.2 ppm (mg/L) and 0.8 ppm. :)

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do macro algae like Cheato, consume copper in any sizable quantities? Specifically Seachem Cupramine. I am thinking about putting some in the sump of my QT, and want to make sure that it wont soak up the copper during treatment.
Yes and very much so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
in fact macro algae (usually dead and dried) is and can be used to clean up industrial wastes sites by absorbing lotsa nasties.
Dr. Walter Addey responded to an email of mine over 10 years ago that he had designed a system using live macro algaes to remove copper from cooling water on a nuclear power generating station.
After many years of speculations that other site years ago someone linked a WHO report on copper and corals. In one paragraph they reported actual scientific under controlled conditions of copper bioaccumulation of (live) macro algae. Several different algaes were exposed to varying level of copper (up to 250ppm) for different lengths of time for up to two weeks. The results were:
---- that none of the macros had reached to max and were still accumulating more copper.
---- The accumulation by the macros was linear too both the concentration of the copper and the length of exposure.
---- One macro exposed to 250ppm copper for two weeks increased copper in the macro from 30ppm to 1055ppm.
So IMHO macro algaes and even turf algaes do accumulate copper and in very significant quantities.
If need be I can see if that study is on my home computer which could be a problem as my nas personal cloud looks like it's failing.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto is disappearing during copper (cupramine) treatment. :shrug:

OP
OP
thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and very much so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
in fact macro algae (usually dead and dried) is and can be used to clean up industrial wastes sites by absorbing lotsa nasties.
Dr. Walter Addey responded to an email of mine over 10 years ago that he had designed a system using live macro algaes to remove copper from cooling water on a nuclear power generating station.
After many years of speculations that other site years ago someone linked a WHO report on copper and corals. In one paragraph they reported actual scientific under controlled conditions of copper bioaccumulation of (live) macro algae. Several different algaes were exposed to varying level of copper (up to 250ppm) for different lengths of time for up to two weeks. Tthe results were that none of the macros had reached to max and were still accumulating more copper. The accumulation by the macros was linear too both the concentration of the copper and the length of exposure. One macro exposed to 250ppm copper increased copper in the macro from 30ppm to 1055ppm.
So IMHO macro algaes and even turf algaes do accumulate copper and in very significant quantities.
If need be I can see if that study is on my home computer which could be a problem as my nas personal cloud looks like it's failing.

Thanks,
That's what I need to know.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto is disappearing during copper (cupramine) treatment. :shrug:
sorry to hear.
I have also heard that in some cases the chaeto will absorb the copper so well one has to increase the dosing 3 to 4 times the recommendations.
But that just rumors from another site and years ago. my .02

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear.
I have also heard that in some cases the chaeto will absorb the copper so well one has to increase the dosing 3 to 4 times the recommendations.
But that just rumors from another site and years ago. my .02

I've had to dose 3-4 times as much but it's because I turned my fowlr in to a large hospital tank. I removed inverts until I can remove the cupramine. As such rock and sand absorb it.

OP
OP
thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard finding a long term filtration system for a permanently running QT tank. Copper screws with almost everything. I guess that is why it's the best treatment for Ich. I wonder if the copper absorbs into the Marinepure blocks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard finding a long term filtration system for a permanently running QT tank. Copper screws with almost everything. I guess that is why it's the best treatment for Ich. I wonder if the copper absorbs into the Marinepure blocks.

It likely will, yes. A sponge may be the best bet.

OP
OP
thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur, I have many sponges in my qt

How do you deal with Nitrates and Phosphates. I've always hated QT because you can't seem to get them under control. I wouldn't even mind running the QT fallow for awhile to let the rocks absorb copper. Question is, would they release it just as fast, or would they hold on to it. I may just have to try it out and run some test. Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm just trying to think of the best way to move forward.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With aggressive amounts of cuprasorb, carbon and reloading both in day 6, by day ten it usually reads absolute zero copper. This was cupramine.

Water changes, sponges from an established tank, seachem stability and other beneficial bacteria dosing products. NO ammonia nitrite and nitrate detoxifiers they will poison the fish. Sea Chem I dose daily for two weeks.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates just mean you need better to filters or membrane, that's all you can do. Don't run a reactor on qt it absorbs meds

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you deal with Nitrates and Phosphates. I've always hated QT because you can't seem to get them under control. .

Water change. :)

Copper will slowly leach back out of rock and sand

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.3%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 67 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back