macro algae identification

Yuma Trip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could anyone please help me find out what type of macro algae this is?

imagenotes.jpg

By the color and texture my guess would be gracilaria?
imagenotes (1).jpg

Thanks for your time!

brentsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the second pic #2 looks like closed zoas, and #1 looks like mushrooms. Which are corals not algaes :)

OP
OP
Y

Yuma Trip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually didn't say anything about the labels. I know what the polyps are and this photo isn't actually mine, I need help identifying the algae though.

OP
OP
Y

Yuma Trip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These photos are from a kick starting pico reef jar. I figured I could just buy a mason jar and try to replicate the established ecosystem. Essentially it is designed to have such a minimal amount of water that the jar sits in a homeostatic equilibrium of nutrition and waste. Quartly water changes of about 30% and the system itself was meant to be able to function without the need of anything else. Its a mason jar, a piece of LR, some star polyps, mush anemone, zoas, macro algae and saltwater. The led is the main source of nutrition for the corals. I have tried to start this but I wanted to see if a sandbed could help with the nitrate exchange but in a no flow system it just gets messy. I need a rock just smaller than my jar. Totally possible though, just wanted some suggestions as far as a piece of macro algae to help with balancing the tiny system.

Jason edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I suggest Ochtodes, very beautiful in color and growth pattern. Purple bushy one top right corner

shells4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested to know the name as well. We have the same algea. We found it half dried out in a tide pool. It has grown like crazy over the years.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back