Macro algae to keep FOWLR Looking good

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey now fellers. For a FOWLR that’s gonna be a 40 breeder, what kind of macro algae would you put in the hob refugium to prevent growth of algae that’s make the tank look bad

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae Barn has what they call pom pom. Its hard to kill and fish dont eat it. Tough stuff. It does need light.

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae Barn has what they call pom pom. Its hard to kill and fish dont eat it. Tough stuff. It does need light.

Yeahhhhhh I was just on there. I love that site. I have a refugium light I just need a hob refugium. Would I just drop that in the refugium or plant it in a substrate in the refugium?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop it in. It kinda floats around its a lot of small 3" pieces, not something you could plant. You can also rubber band some to a small rock and put in the tank for some color

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like the perfect candidate for those hob filter refugium. Or any hob refugium

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be aware that the size of the hob refugium may not be sufficient to compete with green hair algae or bryopsis outbreaks in the main tank.

your light fixtures will play a big role in this too (both what’s over the main tank and what’s over the refugium).

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be aware that the size of the hob refugium may not be sufficient to compete with green hair algae or bryopsis outbreaks in the main tank.

your light fixtures will play a big role in this too (both what’s over the main tank and what’s over the refugium).

I’m using a Tunze Chic (something or other) refugium light and an AI Prime for tank. I will probably haveto add a second prime if one doesn’t cut it.

I hear what you’re saying though. I wasn’t sure if it was even worth it. Then I read a post that said any extra help is good help

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back