Macro Photography With Extension Tubes

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great write-up. So in my case, I am using a D800 with a Tamron 90mm, and I'm trying to focus on objects juat a few inches beyond the glass. Even with the camera right up against the glass, I'm not getting the close-up images I desire.

In this scenario, it is my understanding that extension tubes will not help me as I'm already as close as I can get to the subject, is that correct? And if that's the case, is upgrading my lens the next step?

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great write-up. So in my case, I am using a D800 with a Tamron 90mm, and I'm trying to focus on objects juat a few inches beyond the glass. Even with the camera right up against the glass, I'm not getting the close-up images I desire.

In this scenario, it is my understanding that extension tubes will not help me as I'm already as close as I can get to the subject, is that correct? And if that's the case, is upgrading my lens the next step?

What do.u.mean by not getting g the images you desire? Do you desire more magnification or is the camera not able to focus on those.objects as they're too close or is it just the quality of the images that u don't like? Maybe post a few pics so we can see what's wrong about them.

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do.u.mean by not getting g the images you desire? Do you desire more magnification or is the camera not able to focus on those.objects as they're too close or is it just the quality of the images that u don't like? Maybe post a few pics so we can see what's wrong about them.

Sorry I was unclear. I desire more magnification, but I think I realized at least part of my problem this evening. I am unable to crop any of my photos thus far (in order to get that ultra-zomed in look I want) because I just can't seem to get a good focus on anything. These images were taken with a D800, Tamron 90mm, high end tripod, and a remote shutter release. I tried both auto and manual focus yet can't seem to get a crisp image. The fuzziness is apparent even on the originals before zooming in.

DCS_3453~.JPG

DCS_3458~.JPG

DCS_3498~.JPG

DCS_3487~.JPG

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are shooting at an angle to the glass which is causing distortions. Try to shoot parallel to the glass that should minimize that distortion and give u crisp images.

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are shooting at an angle to the glass which is causing distortions. Try to shoot parallel to the glass that should minimize that distortion and give u crisp images.

I wish that were the case. In most of these images, the lens was flat up against the glass, completely parallel to it.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case and unless camera is moving I'd try a few shots ( non aquarium shots) with camera on tripod and of a stationary subject to rule out lense or camera issues. Try not to shoot with lense wide open as lenses tend to be soft at widest apertures. U might need to send camera and lense for a checkup.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back