Macroalgae Needed?

smd189

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have searched everywhere for what seems like it should be a common topic but I cannot find the answer. I am brand new to the hobby and currently working a fish only tank. Mid cycle right now. Being new, I am trying to simplify the process as much as possible.

I have a refugium in my sump and have read about macroalgae helping with nitrates but also about issues including clogging, being hard to grow, lighting issues, etc.

My question is is macroalgae needed? Are their other options, etc.

Thank you for any advice and if I missed this topic somewhere please point me in the correct direction. Thx

Shawn

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro algae is the easiest thing you can do to help clean the tank. What you need is a proper light, clean macroalgae, and thats it. It is a good idea to add something like iron to help it but otherwise water changes should add back trace elements like that.

It isn't needed but its how people like me get away with little to no water changes (or at least one of the ways). If you do get it, you can add it sometime after you get fish.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macroalgae are great at reducing nutrients in established tanks.

are they needed, no. Other options, protein skimmer, water changes, nutrient reducing media.

With a new tank, I would wait till I had elevated nitrate and phosphate before adding macros to a fuge. if you add them too soon, your nutrients may go too low and lead to problems.

Also be aware that macros need other elements so you will need to do water changes and/or supplement the elements they need.

OP
OP
S

smd189

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro algae is the easiest thing you can do to help clean the tank. What you need is a proper light, clean macroalgae, and thats it. It is a good idea to add something like iron to help it but otherwise water changes should add back trace elements like that.

It isn't needed but its how people like me get away with little to no water changes (or at least one of the ways). If you do get it, you can add it sometime after you get fish.
Thank you. Have you found a way to keep it from clogging the sump? Maybe it would impede the macro, but wish there was something like a cage to keep it contained in a area of the refug. Thanks again.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Have you found a way to keep it from clogging the sump? Maybe it would impede the macro, but wish there was something like a cage to keep it contained in a area of the refug. Thanks again.
Sump is usually compartmentalized, with baffles
1. Overflow from tank
2. Refugium
3. Skimmer section
4. Return pump

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro does a great job on nutrient absorption and is easy to manage.
Adding a marine pure block as well creates great export capabilities

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The refugium chamber itself is enough of a cage on its own. Containing the algae further with eggcrate or mesh netting can help with potential clogging but can also impede growth, decrease flow and block light soo it can be counterintuitive. But it really depends on your specific sump/baffle setup. My sump fuge has a small compartment between the baffles to hold a sponge and prevent most large particulate matter from entering the next chamber. Also depends which species of algae’s in the fuge, as some are less/more prone to clogging. I assume we are talking about chaeto specifically or no?

I recommend at least trying the refugium for nitrate reduction before other methods, simply because it’s the easiest and cheapest. For some tanks just a fuge is all that’s needed for nitrate reduction. But for a fish only tank with high bioload and high nitrates, a small average size fuge won’t be efficient enough. You may need to add a skimmer, which are also very effective and easy but they cost quite a bit more. Again, it really depends on the specific setup, the sump and tank size, the livestock and ultimately it’s nutrient levels... many variables to take into consideration.

OP
OP
S

smd189

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The refugium chamber itself is enough of a cage on its own. Containing the algae further with eggcrate or mesh netting can help with potential clogging but can also impede growth, decrease flow and block light soo it can be counterintuitive. But it really depends on your specific sump/baffle setup. My sump fuge has a small compartment between the baffles to hold a sponge and prevent most large particulate matter from entering the next chamber. Also depends which species of algae’s in the fuge, as some are less/more prone to clogging. I assume we are talking about chaeto specifically or no?

I recommend at least trying the refugium for nitrate reduction before other methods, simply because it’s the easiest and cheapest. For some tanks just a fuge is all that’s needed for nitrate reduction. But for a fish only tank with high bioload and high nitrates, a small average size fuge won’t be efficient enough. You may need to add a skimmer, which are also very effective and easy but they cost quite a bit more. Again, it really depends on the specific setup, the sump and tank size, the livestock and ultimately it’s nutrient levels... many variables to take into consideration.
Thank you. I do have a skimmer. I will give macro a try and see how it goes. I have been trying to find Chaeto on Algaebarn for weeks with no luck. Is there a recommendation of other macro options that work as well, as easy to keep alive, etc? Thanks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most sumps for refugiums have something to catch it. You can use a thin coarse sponge or something on the side of the refugium compartment if you don't have something. I just use chaeto for the most part as it holds together and wont float away in my sump.

OP
OP
S

smd189

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most sumps for refugiums have something to catch it. You can use a thin coarse sponge or something on the side of the refugium compartment if you don't have something. I just use chaeto for the most part as it holds together and wont float away in my sump.
Thank you very much. I will try Chaeto if I can ever find it. Algaebarn is always out. My LFS is always out. The only place that seems to have it, is Petco and I don't trust them.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. I will try Chaeto if I can ever find it. Algaebarn is always out. My LFS is always out. The only place that seems to have it, is Petco and I don't trust them.
Go on Facebook and look for a local reef club. People like me are always looking get rid of chaeto and it is usually pretty easy to find some that way. I have a four gallon bucket full of the stuff that I am trying to get rid of.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Other types work as well. Monkey finger, gracilaria, etc. I would jsut avoid caulerpa and ulva as they are a mess to deal with. Gracilaria can break apart if you rough handle it but its not like ulva and caulerpa that can clog pumps and what not.

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are having a hard time finding it locally, a lot of times there are some members selling their harvests in the classifieds here on the forums. You might get lucky and find someone local to you, but otherwise, some members will ship the chaeto. That might be worth checking into, if you haven't already.

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the past I used a basket like this to keep it in place. or you can use it for biomedia and whatnot. It's very convenient rather than bags.

basket.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back