Macroalgae problem!

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah salinity is perfect and when i checked the tank it was in before the 100% water change it was perfect too. :( i measure in specific gravity with my hydrometer more than actual salinity because it has a more exact number where as salinity is always kinda between things. my specific gravity before and after was 1.025 which is perfect for coral and macro algae.
I believe hydrometers can be accurate, I was worried because measuring salt by volume can throw off salinity/specific gravity because water can get absorbed into the salt and change the volume/mass/density.

OP
OP
Reefyyy

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe hydrometers can be accurate, I was worried because measuring salt by volume can throw off salinity/specific gravity because water can get absorbed into the salt and change the volume/mass/density.
yes but i got a new hydrometer recently actually and it is quit accurate (i tested it before with different amounts of reef salt like a pro ;) lolol)

OP
OP
Reefyyy

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE!!

so half the cheat id i think pretty much dead its very pale green and covered in the mucus as said before which i believe to be algae(a sign of death) but the upper half of it is actually a pretty rich green and looks ok so i think maybe part of it is dying off due to lack of nutrients or just (not enough space in the tank which is unlikely) and it might be coming back now but please if anyone has anymore suggestions feel free to tell me! don't be shy, please!

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes should replenish iron, and Reefyyy just did a 100%.
in the past I would have agreed with you, but the cheato can strip large amounts of Iron and other metals if it’s growing in optimal conditions in my experience. My phosphates are not detectable, and the cheato looks green and packed..For example, my fuge is completely packed 10x13 lit by a kessil h80 on full intensity, on an approximately 50 gal system. I do a 2% auto water change daily with reef crystals, so 60% a month roughly. check out my recent icp test result

1582168748151.png

Last edited:

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime if you have the right amount of light, fish poop/nutrients, a touch of iron, and some saltwater this stuff will grow like crazy. Which of those are you missing? Can you post a pic of your setup With the cheato?

OP
OP
Reefyyy

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime if you have the right amount of light, fish poop/nutrients, a touch of iron, and some saltwater this stuff will grow like crazy. Which of those are you missing? Can you post a pic of your setup With the cheato?
well I'm missing the fish because in the tank it is only the cheat right now so there is no fish detritus in the water with the plant.

OP
OP
Reefyyy

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my system is very simple for my tiny 2 g tank. the Chaeto sits at the bottom of the tank with a simple ASZEL24 LED light. there is a small filter and pre set heater that of course run 24/7. it is a system that has worked for me for the entirety of me having this Chaeto so I'm still not sure whats up.

IMG_8994.JPG IMG_8993.JPG IMG_8992.JPG

OP
OP
Reefyyy

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you getting enough light ? if your display tank is out performing the algae in your 2ga container than you will never win.
yeah there is enough light I'm sure of it. its the same amount of light from before when it was thriving plus more indirect sunlight then it used to get as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back