Candy Cane Coral Issue

Killgannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’ve got this candy cane coral I “rescued” from a friend. All parameters are stable and within range, all other corals/anemones in the tank are doing well/thriving. Obviously the candy is receding, it was 2 heads when I got it, it recently split to 3 and now the largest polyp appears to be splitting again. This is my first candy, do they recede when splitting? I also noticed this morning what appears to be brown “hairs” growing. I did the initial dip when I transferred, but is this hair algae? I’ve never had an algae issue (except for diatoms during the initial cycle) so I’m not familiar with the process here. When looking up hair algae it appears to look a bit different than this. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated? After doing research it seems like a peroxide did may be warranted?

Thank you for any help

IMG_1174.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’ve got this candy cane coral I “rescued” from a friend. All parameters are stable and within range, all other corals/anemones in the tank are doing well/thriving. Obviously the candy is receding, it was 2 heads when I got it, it recently split to 3 and now the largest polyp appears to be splitting again. This is my first candy, do they recede when splitting? I also noticed this morning what appears to be brown “hairs” growing. I did the initial dip when I transferred, but is this hair algae? I’ve never had an algae issue (except for diatoms during the initial cycle) so I’m not familiar with the process here. When looking up hair algae it appears to look a bit different than this. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated? After doing research it seems like a peroxide did may be warranted?

Thank you for any help

IMG_1174.jpeg
So, several things.
Your tank looks to be extremely new - between the snow-white rock and your comment about only ever having had diatoms, I suspect your tank may not be stable enough to be successful with stoney coral.

Yes, the "hairs" appear to be algae. And no, tissue recession is not something that normally happens to healthy coral.

What are your ACTUAL tank parameters? What's your maintenance schedule? Age of tank, what other livestock, etc...?

Last edited:

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see skeleton showing on the third head that also has the algae growing out of it. Not great. I agree with the previous person who responded, please post your water parameters.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back