Macroalgae that has washed up onto the beach / shore via tide

WhoIsCandice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In California I will usually see macroalgaes that wash up to the shore, examples are marked below.

These macroalgaes are super common and when washed up to the shore, if high tide does not sweep them back into the ocean in time before drying out, usually will result in a stinky beach and just rotting while amphipods consume these rotting macroalgaes on the shore.

Anyways, I was wondering if
A: This is officially allowed (though I haven't seen anyone or anything care as long as you're collecting specimens that clearly will rot)
B: If anyone has had experience with which species do the best with the temperature shift, as California is 60-75 degree water-temp typically (depends on the part of the state you're at), but reefs can go a bit higher.

Examples below,
Pterosiphonia dendroidea
Ulva latissima AKA sea lettuce

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea lettuce does well in the tanks . There are other sea weeds but they do stain the water colour . In the sea this will be diluted constantly but in a inclosed glass box you see the colour leaching just my experience but I would say not all like the sea lettuce leach anything. This is the only picture of some sea lettuce.
CD735F2D-EFA9-4928-A75A-63A3FFE179C5.jpeg

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sea lettuce does well in the tanks . There are other sea weeds but they do stain the water colour . In the sea this will be diluted constantly but in a inclosed glass box you see the colour leaching just my experience but I would say not all like the sea lettuce leach anything. This is the only picture of some sea lettuce.
CD735F2D-EFA9-4928-A75A-63A3FFE179C5.jpeg
Is this your tank? Are those anemones? Did you collect everything in it? Is it a sump? Why is there that type of rock?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you needed a fishing license with an ocean stamp to collect technically, but the code is full of contradiction.
Ulva, will transfer to a warmer tank, but can take over the tank. Some of the reds will do fine. Kelp will disintegrate. Of course Sargassum is an invasive weed and is very hardy.
Kelp and other algae are full of zooplankton and you could be introducing new animals to your tank, wanted or unwanted. So proceed with caution.
@WheatToast would be a good source for this.
I have a temperate tank and I would like to say that probably 90% of what is in my tank has come off of kelp as zooplankton.
IMG_0673.jpeg
IMG_0596.jpeg
FullSizeRender 2.jpeg
IMG_9059.jpeg
IMG_8466.jpeg

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back