Macropharyngodon cyanoguttatus

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2013
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
824
Location
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know anything about these leopard wrasses? I have never seen one at all. In fact, my LFS said they haven't been able or come across one in years. They are holding one for me. Sorry for the crappy pics.

20151214_175332.jpg


20151214_175338.jpg


20151214_175357.jpg
 
The one in the pic is a female. They are from the W. Indian ocean, sometimes Kenya, sometimes Madagascar. They are imported sporadically. Care is similar to any other leopard wrasse
 
The one in the pic is a female. They are from the W. Indian ocean, sometimes Kenya, sometimes Madagascar. They are imported sporadically. Care is similar to any other leopard wrasse
I defer to this guy but I do know that they should be similar in care to other macro.

Sharp fish!
 
017760F000009W000010.jpg

This is an initial phase male.

bluespotted-wrasse.jpg


This is a terminal phase male.
Yeah those larger more connected face patterns are a dead giveaway. These often begin before the rest of the male phase completes or even begins sometimes with leopards, breakthecycle.

I somehow ended up with two transitioning males and two full males out of my 6 leopard wrasses. I sold my black leopard and my choates randomly died after being great for several months so now I have:

-Male blue star
-Transitioning male blue star (stuck in transition now 6 months due to presence of large dominant male)
-Transitioning male ornate (2/3 transitioned now)
-female potters
-female regular leopard (melagris)

No issues they're thriving somehow. No aggression at all, ever seen.
 
Similar, the spotting in the face begins to connect and get more lined.
I think of the species as the Indian parallel to geoffroy of the Pacific.

my choates randomly died after being great for several months
Unfortunately that experience is far from random. Such a touchy species... Alk swings can do them in.
 
Funny, I just got a pair a few weeks ago. My LFS told me something similar. Only a few were available for sale recently. Awesome fish!
 
How did this fish end up working out? I'm likely picking one up this weekend and there doesn't seem to be too many people that have one.
 
How did this fish end up working out? I'm likely picking one up this weekend and there doesn't seem to be too many people that have one.

Still at the store. I wanted to leave him there to make sure he was eating. I went yesterday to check him out and honestly he didn't look good. Not sure why. Im giving it a few more days.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new