Made in Canada - A Shallow Reef

lombeard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings from Canada, my name is Shaun and I’m a reefer from South Africa - I’ve just moved to Canada and what better way to settle into a new life than with a new tank. Am I right? Haha.

My previous two tanks have both been shallow reefs (700x700x300mm and 1400x700x300mm) - I have been obsessed with aquascaping shallow tanks ever since I started research for my first build. As I don’t know any custom builders here in Canada, I have decided to go the route of a Waterbox Frag 145.5 tank, it’s slightly deeper than my previous builds but at 410mm it’s still what I would consider shallow for such a long tank.

I’m really excited to to start this build and get a little slice of the ocean back into my home.

table_acro_011.jpg

flame_hawkfish_001.jpg

^ (Images from previous build).

Equipment List:

Tank:
Waterbox Frag 145.5
Lights: Ecotech Radion Gen 5 Pros.
Flow: Ecotech MP40s
Return: Ecotech Vectra L2
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Elite 200S
Nutrient Control: Pax Bellum ARID N18 Algae Reactor.
Controller: Coralvue Hydros
Doser: GHL Doser 2.1 SA
ATO: Tunze
RODI: Puratech Deluxe 100
Supplements: Aquaforest

More to come when the ship arrives. Haha.

Last edited:

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Shaun! Beautiful shots! Show us more if you could, and perhaps even a full tank shot with an aquascape we can admire!

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Shaun! Very nice to see you here. Canada is fantastic. Can't wait to go there next winter as well. As you know I was following all your previous builds. This one will be EPIC I'm sure as well! ;Woot

OP
OP
lombeard

lombeard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings fellow Canadian! I was just in South Africa a couple of years ago for a month, had the best time of my life! Fantastic photos and tank, welcome!
Greetings! I’m glad you had a good time there, South Africa is a great place. Thanks for the welcome.
Welcome to R2R Shaun! Beautiful shots! Show us more if you could, and perhaps even a full tank shot with an aquascape we can admire!
Thanks. I’ll post some more photos of my older builds for sure. And then new photos as things progress.
Hey Shaun! Very nice to see you here. Canada is fantastic. Can't wait to go there next winter as well. As you know I was following all your previous builds. This one will be EPIC I'm sure as well! ;Woot
Snl Who Dis GIF by Saturday Night Live

Hehehe, thanks Alexey. The plan is for it not to suck, that is all. :D

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! I’m glad you had a good time there, South Africa is a great place. Thanks for the welcome.

Thanks. I’ll post some more photos of my older builds for sure. And then new photos as things progress.

Snl Who Dis GIF by Saturday Night Live

Hehehe, thanks Alexey. The plan is for it not to suck, that is all. :D

I’m working in the same plan!

OP
OP
lombeard

lombeard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
02 April: Aquascape

Finally had some time to get moving on things and spent the last couple of days getting my aquascape sorted. It really is one of the best parts of the build to me.

I'm not really into plugging products and have used epoxy putty on all my builds because it was so easy to find but I used some AF Stonefix for the first time and it's good, dang. So solid so fast.

Excuse the rambling. Thought I'd post my progress. Haha.

fts_april_02_2021.jpg

Super excited to get some sand and water in now.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
02 April: Aquascape

Finally had some time to get moving on things and spent the couple of days getting my aquascape sorted. It really is one of the best parts of the build to me.

I'm not really into plugging products and have used epoxy putty on all my builds because it was so easy to find but I used some AF Stonefix for the first time and it's good, dang. So solid so fast.

Excuse the rambling. Thought I'd post my progress. Haha.

fts_april_02_2021.jpg

Super excited to get some sand and water in now.
Oh!!!! I LOVE this, the multiple Reef bommie idea!!!! Makes me want to tear it all apart and re-invent lol. Well done.

Could I use the AF Stonefix in an existing reef in water and it would harden do you know? I'd think maybe not....

OP
OP
lombeard

lombeard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh!!!! I LOVE this, the multiple Reef bommie idea!!!! Makes me want to tear it all apart and re-invent lol. Well done.

Could I use the AF Stonefix in an existing reef in water and it would harden do you know? I'd think maybe not....

Hey, thanks!

According to the packaging it says it's best used out of water but can be used in water, honestly I'm not sure I'd want to try though. Seems like a mess waiting to happen - I've never had the best luck glueing thing underwater. It was rock hard in under 15 minutes out of water though, I was actually really surprised. Maybe taking rocks out and then adding back in could work.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks!

According to the packaging it says it's best used out of water but can be used in water, honestly I'm not sure I'd want to try though. Seems like a mess waiting to happen - I've never had the best luck glueing thing underwater. It was rock hard in under 15 minutes out of water though, I was actually really surprised. Maybe taking rocks out and then adding back in could work.
Same here in regards to glueing underwater. I want to elevate my rockwork closer to surface in at least one spot, and the epoxy putty just ends up falling apart. I have bulldozer urchins so of course that doesn't help either lol. Might have to pull the corals off and make a bit of a mess for a few days it seems.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back