Mag fox face: cloudy eyes- dose Epsom Salts

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

Have a 5" mag foxface that is in great shape, other than she has cloudy eyes. Not severe, but very noticeable when viewed nextvto her purple tang tank mate. First cropped up in November for 2-3 weeks, seemed to go away, but now it's back for past 3 weeks worse than before

I can't catch her to put her in a hospital tank for treatment so I need to dose Display.

I've read 1 tablespoon (weighed out to be 15.6 g of USP magnesium sulphate) per 5 gallons of water.
System is 235 gallons. That's a total amount of 733grams of Epsom Salts.

Given that 5 grams supplies 495 mg of Magnesium, that's 72.5 grams of magnesium added.

Plan was to dissolve that amount of Epsom salts with as much tank water as required, then slow pour it into the sump.

But I'm thinking my math is off because that seems like a lot of salt.

Also- how frequently can i redose if needed and should I do a big WC to drop magnesium first?

Tanks only has a few softies , a couple of fungia plates, and two favia

Any insight appreciated- thanks.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy eyes could be an infection or flukes. FW dip to confirm flukes or just treat for them and follow up with antibiotics as needed.

Regarding epsom salts, it is a common recommendation, but really cannot provide any benefit in saltwater. Epsom is made of magnesium and sulphate, both of which are already abundant in saltwater. At recommended dosages epsom will not appreciably change anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy eyes could be an infection or flukes. FW dip to confirm flukes or just treat for them and flow up with antibiotics as needed.

Regarding epsom salts, it is a common recommendation, but really cannot provide any benefit in saltwater. Epsom is made of magnesium and sulphat, both of which are already is saltwater. At recommended dosages epsom will not appreciably change anything.
Problem bring- I cant catch her in order to remove for fw dip

Besides- I really don't think it's flukes- all my fish and corals have been well quarantined and don't hit the display until I'm positive they are pest free. ive been following Humblefishes QT recommendations abd have had ongoing dialogue with several others here by pm over the past 24 months.

I agree that the mechanism by which Epsom salts helps clear cloudy eye is unclear- but there have been so many successful uses for that condition it would appear it's doing something. Maybe a very low percentage contaminant has remedial activity?

Thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back