cloudy eye clown

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ten year old female clown overnight developed a cloudy blue/grey eye. The other eye is normal. I just removed a few fish from this tank to treat for ich in copper QT so there's a bunch of gunk floating around in the tank that's not anything actually on her. She does have one piece of ich I believe. Pretty sure there are no flukes involved. Nothing that looks like what I've seen in pictures on any of my fish. Her fins are also a little split and aren't healing as quickly as they have in the past. Other than the ich I have been dealing with all other fish appear fine. My inverts are all fine. Thinking I might have a bacterial issue. At the moment I am using my only qt for copper so not sure what to do with her besides just watch it.

On a side note I'm sure its ich with the others as it has been coming and going, and previous copper made them go away before ammonia spiked and I had to take them out of QT. QT is now all cycled and stable so they all went back in. I was waiting on treating my clownfish for ich since they have been largely unaffected and will go into a separate tank later so I didn't have so much bioload in my QT. Was trying to treat the worst case ich problems first.

IMG_3594[1].JPG

IMG_3599[1].JPG

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my clown had a cloudy eye, it turned out to be flukes and was treated with prazipro.

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I not see these
When my clown had a cloudy eye, it turned out to be flukes and was treated with prazipro.
I had a clown with eye fluke causing cloudiness as well, 5 minute ro/di dip fixed it right up.
Would I not see these on the body, or is there a fluke that is exclusively eyes? and will FW dip cause an instant removal so if I did that I would know for sure?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my clown recovered in less than a week after dip. It's can't really hurt, so worth a try. I just filled a large zip-lock bag with enough RODI to hold the fish comfortable, then put it on the top corner of the tank with the bag rolled over the tank to hold it in place. Let the temp adjust to tank temp for 15 minutes or so, 5 minute dip, net back into display.

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This appears on the outside of the eye. A source I found says flukes appear inside. This is more of a whitish film on outside which this source says is gram negative bacterial infection. I can do a FW dip easily enough but feel like I want to identify the problem first so I can pick a treatment that will work.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
maybe a scratch now looking at this pic.
IMG_3607[1].JPG
based on the surface, this is likely a scratch or injury to the eye and may likely heal on its own with good water quality. If it gets more milky, treatment will be in a separate tank with Maracyn as shown below for at least 5 days.

1705101507438.png

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on the surface, this is likely a scratch or injury to the eye and may likely heal on its own with good water quality. If it gets more milky, treatment will be in a separate tank with Maracyn as shown below for at least 5 days.

Thanks. Here's a pic that maybe shows it better. I am thinking injury also. My water quality is usually pretty good. just did a partial change in case. No ammonia or nitrite. My water makeup
Screenshot 2024-01-12 154020.png
typically has more phosphates than I would like and minimal nitrates. PH is always steady 8.3.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks. Here's a pic that maybe shows it better. I am thinking injury also. My water quality is usually pretty good. just did a partial change in case. No ammonia or nitrite. My water makeup
Screenshot 2024-01-12 154020.png
typically has more phosphates than I would like and minimal nitrates. PH is always steady 8.3.
Good pic. Yes, keep an eye on it and prepare to treat if it gets any more cloudy

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I not see these

Would I not see these on the body, or is there a fluke that is exclusively eyes? and will FW dip cause an instant removal so if I did that I would know for sure?

FW dip will cause neob(I can't remember the rest of the spelling) flukes to fall off

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I not see these

Flukes will be all over the fish’s body, but can most readily be seen on the sclera of the eyes.
It is pretty rare for just one eye to be cloudy with flukes - usually both eyes will be hazy.
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
FW dip will cause neob(I can't remember the rest of the spelling) flukes to fall off
Some will fall off as the eggs often remain
LOL- name is Neobenedenia

e

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back