Magic Eraser ingredients: nitrogen, formaldehyde, sodium bisulfite

littlefishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the obvious micro-abrasives (melamine), are these ingredients really as stable and non-toxic in combination as this article suggests, bearing in mind we are using them inside saltwater tanks and the article is only addressing general home cleaning?

We use them in finalizing custom home finishes and they have worked like magic in that application. We always thought it was a chemical product but noticed that used on a flat painted surface it can buff a sheen after more than 2-3 wipes, and can dull a high sheen with the same number of wipes. Looking it up we found it worked mechanically by way of the melanine dust (which needs to be wiped from any surface sheen afterwards).

Now I'm seeing a lot of posts where ppl use them inside acrylic tanks with no ill effects. This is great news if it is really safe.

Looking up the effects of melamine dust I came across this article which listed these additional ingredients. What do the chemists think?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some interesting ingredients... Following.

We use these at work to clean glass when it's too sunny to use our foaming cleaner (it just evaporates). They work great!

From what I understand they aren't as aquarium safe as most people think because they constantly fall apart and release tiny particles into the water

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand they are as aquarium safe as most people think because they constantly fall apart and release tiny particles into the water
So they are safe because they fall apart? Did you mean aren't as safe? I've always heard they're safe to use in the aquarium but I never have mostly because I havent had any need to.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they are safe because they fall apart? Did you mean aren't as safe? I've always heard they're safe to use in the aquarium but I never have mostly because I havent had any need to.
Aren't as safe. EDITED!

I wanted to use them when I got my acrylic tank but decided not to since I don't want my fish eating those particles

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using them inside a 7g aquarium (arguably a small water volume) for 6 years now without any problems.

The article mentions the formaldehyde turns non-toxic.

Particles I assume do enter the tank... then get filtered out or such.

*shrug* They are easy to use and I still have all the snails and nem's from 6 yrs ago and some gobies so I will just keep on using it as it works great.

People buy into all sorts of products in this hobby, some of which work great for one person and have negative effects on the next tank. They often don't have ingredients listed. If someone marketed magic eraser to the hobby, called it something else, didn't list the ingredients... would people feel better?

On that note... people have put Ruby Reef Rally in their tank and it contains a small amount of formalin. Does this product not claim to be reef safe?

Last edited:
OP
OP
littlefishy

littlefishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The several long-term users who've had no problems give me hope we have a great acrylic cleaning product, I'd just like to hear from a chemist. Just looking at the ingredients without the positive reviews, I would never have thought of using it inside my tank.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The several long-term users who've had no problems give me hope we have a great acrylic cleaning product, I'd just like to hear from a chemist. Just looking at the ingredients without the positive reviews, I would never have thought of using it inside my tank.
@Randy Holmes-Farley

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That article is incorrect. They don't contain "formaldehyde". They contain formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer which is not formaldehyde in anything other than name. Magic erasers are used by just about every public aquarium in the world to clean the inside of acrylic aquariums daily if that eases your concerns...

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That article is incorrect. They don't contain "formaldehyde". They contain formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer which is not formaldehyde in anything other than name. Magic erasers are used by just about every public aquarium in the world to clean the inside of acrylic aquariums daily if that eases your concerns...
Can you provide us any examples of this?

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide us any examples of this?

Here's an article on Magic Erasers (and melamine foam pads in general) in Drum & Croaker from 2013 (starts on page 21):

We're still using the Magic Erasers and larger melamine doodlebug pads in coral tanks 8 years later with no issues.

OP
OP
littlefishy

littlefishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if using these pads regularly might help keep the acrylic haze we get on years old tanks from developing due to in-tank polishing in addition to causing fewer scratches. I think I may try them.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the obvious micro-abrasives (melamine), are these ingredients really as stable and non-toxic in combination as this article suggests, bearing in mind we are using them inside saltwater tanks and the article is only addressing general home cleaning?

We use them in finalizing custom home finishes and they have worked like magic in that application. We always thought it was a chemical product but noticed that used on a flat painted surface it can buff a sheen after more than 2-3 wipes, and can dull a high sheen with the same number of wipes. Looking it up we found it worked mechanically by way of the melanine dust (which needs to be wiped from any surface sheen afterwards).

Now I'm seeing a lot of posts where ppl use them inside acrylic tanks with no ill effects. This is great news if it is really safe.

Looking up the effects of melamine dust I came across this article which listed these additional ingredients. What do the chemists think?

I know you did not write it, but it is extraordinarily misleading to say these things are "in" it. These are the ingredients used to make the resin (plastic). That does not mean that any significant amount of them remains in that form as they are chemically changed upon polymerization. It is sort of like claiming there is grass in beef.

I have not seen any evidence of a problem when using this product, but IMO, the biggest concern are the micro bits of plastic that come as it abrades that might get into filter feeders.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back