Magician zoas won’t open

aquatic_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I got 3 zoa frags at the same time, two of them opened up in a day after putting in the tank, the magician zoa won’t open and it’s been a week. Moved to low light, moved it back, nothing has changed. All my other corals and fish are happy. The first pic is of the subject zoa, the second is of my other ones.

image.jpg
image.jpg

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I know this is an old thread, but what happened to your Magician frag eventually? Were you able to solve the issue? I am having a very similar issue now...

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I know this is an old thread, but what happened to your Magician frag eventually? Were you able to solve the issue? I am having a very similar issue now...
Where are you putting them in the tank? Mine are in high light and flow areas

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you putting them in the tank? Mine are in high light and flow areas
I placed it on the bottom, but directly under the lights. After reading that many people in this forum advised lower light, I moved it towards the corner of the tank today.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed it on the bottom, but directly under the lights. After reading that many people in this forum advised lower light, I moved it towards the corner of the tank today.
Light levels depend on the zoa. What lights are you running? Also have you tried a peroxide dip. That fixes most problems zoa encounter

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light levels depend on the zoa. What lights are you running? Also have you tried a peroxide dip. That fixes most problems zoa encounter
I am using LEDs, a DIY fixture. Sufficient for growing acros (much higher in the tank, of course). My water parameters are as follows: SG: 1.026, KH 8.5, Ca 430, NO3 10, PO4 0 (measured by Hanna HI713, but I am adding about 0.05ppm daily on a doser). No fish at this time, but feeding the corals with reefroids and Fauna Marin coral dust twice a week.
Peroxide dip - I used to do 3% peroxide dip on zoas, but wasn't sure if it is safe on palys too. Also read on this forum that specifically Magicians were reacting badly on dips, and many reported that they melted away the other day after dip (but I think that was about Iodine and Coral RX dip, no mention of peroxide).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back