Magma / Cherry Wrasse Care & Price

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$85???!?! Wow.

I paid twice that today with some hookups and thought it was a great deal... and I bought 2 to pair up (from different stores)!

But wow... now I don't feel so great! Lol

Where in CA are you?

When the second one inevitably turns male and they start to fight to the death, I'll take it off your hands.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, perhaps not pairing in the traditional sense of pairing but I am hoping that they hang out together and made even try to breed before any full on conversion happens. My yellow coris paired up and usually hang together with one clearly dominant...

Worst case, I have 7 SW tanks... so can't move one out :).

But, if I can find decent prices like Nivekid got, I'd do a full on harem.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's at least this for now... perhaps only honeymoon period but I'll take it...
20180721_143237.jpg

OP
OP
nivekid

nivekid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$85???!?! Wow.

I paid twice that today with some hookups and thought it was a great deal... and I bought 2 to pair up (from different stores)!

But wow... now I don't feel so great! Lol

Where in CA are you?

I'm in the LA area.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good deal. I know prices have dropped, but I feel like that is still a $200-300 fish. Lineatus probably won’t bother it, they aren’t very aggressive.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you looking to switch your magma to pellets, if you have not already done so, I've had a lot of success with the Omega One mini pellets. Both my magma wrasses are nuts for it...as are my coris wrasses. :)

OP
OP
nivekid

nivekid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you looking to switch your magma to pellets, if you have not already done so, I've had a lot of success with the Omega One mini pellets. Both my magma wrasses are nuts for it...as are my coris wrasses. :)

Thanks for the tip. So far he has eaten everything I've given him, including Omega One flake food.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! my magma pair finally got more brave and are out an about... though it took some bribing with food. lol

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, my male magma jumped the tank due to an unfortunately accident with the lid. I did manage to find another (plus 2 more pending ship) but that's one down in my goal of having a harem of 8 ... How's your magma coming along?

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why's that? I have a 100G with nothing else other than shrooms...

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly, my male magma jumped the tank due to an unfortunately accident with the lid. I did manage to find another (plus 2 more pending ship) but that's one down in my goal of having a harem of 8 ... How's your magma coming along?

You will more than likely end up with one.

I would advise reading the following:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That assumes that there might be more than one male / dominate individuals doesn't it?

If you get all juvis and one terminal male, wouldn't that theoretically maintain the harem order of male and several females much like clownfish (except sex transitions are reversed).

From what I understand of researching fairy wrasses, the usual mating pattern is one male to up to 8 females....with some females that might be in stuck transition awaiting for the male to disappear to assume its role.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That assumes that there might be more than one male / dominate individuals doesn't it?

If you get all juvis and one terminal male, wouldn't that theoretically maintain the harem order of male and several females much like clownfish (except sex transitions are reversed).

From what I understand of researching fairy wrasses, the usual mating pattern is one male to up to 8 females....with some females that might be in stuck transition awaiting for the male to disappear to assume its role.

No. They will all turn male. I could be wrong but I don't think Cirrhilabrus wrasses has ever been reproduced in captivity. You would be much better off and the fish better off if you limit to one fairy species (whether female or terminal).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus don't seem to get stuck in transition. They seem to turn male no matter what. When that happens the results get violent quickly.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back