Magnesium chloride hexahydrate

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fixing to start dosing using Randy's recipe and wanted to find out if anyone has a good source to buy magnesium chloride hexahydrate. Everything else I have, just waiting on that and a magnesium test kit. Is any magnesium test kit better than the others? I use Hanna for calcium and alkalinity.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I got both magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate from brs. Agree with aqua forest test kit. I also like salifert. BRS did a video on mag test kits not too long ago.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using the magnesium P by Brightwell. It contains magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate. The product comes in dry and you mix it with Distilled water. To create the solution, I used a glass bottle and Ro/DI. The product works well at first but on the fifth day I noticed brown sediment collecting at the bottom of the bottle. I’m looking into BRS magnesium next.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will probably order the magnesium chloride from BRS, but using Epsom salt for magnesium sulfate. You can get 50# for $36 and that's the only ingredient.
Interesting. I wonder the shelf life of the two mixed with water. I’m looking for something I could dose daily.

OP
OP
mrbluewildcats

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I don't know, but Epsom salt is what Randy calls for in his recipe. Just found 8# at Walmart for $5.00. I hate Walmart, but I'm sure there are other places to buy it pretty cheaply. As long as it's 100% magnesium sulfate, it's the same.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I don't know, but Epsom salt is what Randy calls for in his recipe. Just found 8# at Walmart for $5.00. I hate Walmart, but I'm sure there are other places to buy it pretty cheaply. As long as it's 100% magnesium sulfate, it's the same.
I’m in! Haha

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I wonder the shelf life of the two mixed with water. I’m looking for something I could dose daily.

Shelf life of magnesium chloride and sulfate solid or solutions is forever. Solids may harden up if moisture gets in, but they are still fine.

OP
OP
mrbluewildcats

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the reply. My pH leans toward the high side, 8.3-8.4 so I'll be going with recipe #2. I have several corals but they're all small so I was surprised that my calcium dipped so low. I have it back up to 375 with small daily water changes, but I'd like to see what the corals do at 400 ppm. I've got a fairly large cleanup crew so maybe the snails are drawing some out.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back