Magnesium dropping

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reef2reef, I think that my tank hates Magnesium, here's why. On Sunday, April 4th, I dosed magnesium up about 50 ppm, on Monday I tested it and it was 1370 ppm, on Friday I measured magnesium TWICE, and both times it said that the level was 1280 ppm, and I have not done any water changes. Why did it drop so much?

I use Bulk Reef Supply Pharma Magnesium Mix for 2-Part Maintenance, and currently, I have used more magnesium solution than calcium or alkalinity, am I using the wrong kind of agistment? Another reason could be testing error, though it's probably not. I use the Aquaforest magnesium test kit. How high should my magnesium be? I thought 1350 but heard people dosing up to numbers like 1500 for their euphyllia. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks so much.

Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested and it still read 1280, should I dose? Am I dosing too much? I could pick up an ICP tomorrow, and see what it really is. Thanks for your help.

I don't know if any of the test results are accurate, but 1280 ppm magnesium exactly matches 35 ppt natural seawater and is a fine level. It is also fine to raise it a bit if you want.
OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

This is the magnesium mix I have currently:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/magnesium-mix-for-2-part-maintenance-bulk-reef-supply.html

Should I get this in the future? Or what would you recommend?
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/magnesium-mix-for-general-adjustments-bulk-reef-supply.html

Im still stumped about why it dropped so much.
Did you test shortly after adding the mag?

Youll want to give it 24h after you dose and then test the mag level.
Wait 48-72 hours then test again. Average the drops out to see how many ppm you lose in a given timeframe.

And either one is fine. One is meant for daily dosing and contains more sulfate ions vs chloride. The other is mainly epsom salts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you test shortly after adding the mag?

Youll want to give it 24h after you dose and then test the mag level.
Wait 48-72 hours then test again. Average the drops out to see how many ppm you lose in a given timeframe.

And either one is fine. One is meant for daily dosing and contains more sulfate ions vs chloride. The other is mainly epsom salts.
Thanks, I can't quite remember, but I think that I added 50 ppm because I knew that It was low, and a few days later it was 1370. What do you think that my next steps should be? Test, then dose, then wait 24 hours and these again? Thank you, I think that things are finally coming into focus.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reef2reef, I think that my tank hates Magnesium, here's why. On Sunday, April 4th, I dosed magnesium up about 50 ppm, on Monday I tested it and it was 1370 ppm, on Friday I measured magnesium TWICE, and both times it said that the level was 1280 ppm, and I have not done any water changes. Why did it drop so much?

I use Bulk Reef Supply Pharma Magnesium Mix for 2-Part Maintenance, and currently, I have used more magnesium solution than calcium or alkalinity, am I using the wrong kind of agistment? Another reason could be testing error, though it's probably not. I use the Aquaforest magnesium test kit. How high should my magnesium be? I thought 1350 but heard people dosing up to numbers like 1500 for their euphyllia. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks so much.

Real magnesium consumption is about 0-2 ppm per day, about 1/10th of the calcium drop. . Anything more is test error, or due to a salinity change.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested and it still read 1280, should I dose? Am I dosing too much? I could pick up an ICP tomorrow, and see what it really is. Thanks for your help.

I don't know if any of the test results are accurate, but 1280 ppm magnesium exactly matches 35 ppt natural seawater and is a fine level. It is also fine to raise it a bit if you want.

Upvote 1
Solution
OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my salt mix, and it read 1200 mg, but on BRS's website, it says it's supposed to be 1350: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pro-reef-salt-tropic-marin.html, I'll double-check salinity, but I think its partly a testing error.

I dosed 4 oz of magnesium solution to get it up to 1300, before I do the water change I'll test again and use the ICP test I got so I can verify the results.

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got ICP results, I measured mag with my test kit at the same time and it was around 1300, it's pretty much the same. I wondered what happened with the drop maybe I measured wrong the first time. Other than that, does everything else look normal? The ICP website says that chlorine and iodine are low, and most of the other elements were on par. Thanks.
Test706974205_Results.jpeg

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back