magnesium levels...

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are the optimal magnesium levels for lps?

i hear lps people talk about mg alot. and i seem to be having problems with lps...such as acans, micros, chalice, and esspecially blastos.

just can't seem to keep blastos alive at all. they just slowly wither away.

did fine for a while until my one and only acan decided to waste away.

and now i have a micro doing the same thing. all other micros are fine.

and my watermelon chalice frag looks like its loosing tissue on the sides and receeding a bit.

i have frogspawn, hammer, and fungia and have never had any problems with them.

no other problems with parameters, everything is right on the money.

i keep mostly sps and zoas, so i have played around with putting sps in low flow and low light areas...not much success there either.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've found flow and light to be very important to keep blastos alive, but they are finicky, and sometimes they die for no reason,

mag should be around 1350.

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, my magnesium was at 1350, then i bumped it up to 1450 after i was done dosing 1g solutions of 2-part. (as per directions).

then my acan croaked right after that...and one of my micros a week after that.

figured at first something was eating them, but they are in 2 different tanks...so that lead me to believe it was the water...

my mg is now 1390...and i was gonna bump it up another 100ppm in a water change this week. think i shouldn't?

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've found flow and light to be very important to keep blastos alive, but they are finicky, and sometimes they die for no reason,

mag should be around 1350.

Tell me about it! My other blastos die last month for no reason I have 5 Blastos and just the other one decide that its time for him to go lol.. All of 4 right now are doing good.. sometimes you it makes you wonder what else do they need... I have 1350-1380 mg

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you given any thoughts about using Strontium & Molybdenum?I talked to a guy a few years ago that had the same thing going on in his tank.I know there is a test kit for Strontium.It will help them open more and stay attached to there skeletons better. You might check in to it.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you given any thoughts about using Strontium & Molybdenum?I talked to a guy a few years ago that had the same thing going on in his tank.I know there is a test kit for Strontium.It will help them open more and stay attached to there skeletons better. You might check in to it.

thats a good idea...but from what i've heard from the reef chem *experts* out there (on RC)...they tend to say dont dose any extra stuff into your tank, esspecially if you cant test for it with a reliable test kit.

and all i've heard about testing for strontium, iodine, and other stuff is that the test kits (even salifert) are sketchy at best.

...but i guess the reasoning for that statement is if you keep up with your regular water changes and replace all of your micro nutrients on a cosntant basis....then you should have no reason to dose strontium/iodine, things like that...

....i dont think i'm in that category of "regular water changes" though...lol :rolleyes:

my instant ocean salt has such low calcium and magnesium levels anyways, i gotta add extra for that.

maybe i'll try to get a test kit for those things and see where i'm at. thanks for that advice.

racerw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem w/my acans recently, and I keep my mg above 1400 so I knew that was not the problem.
After speaking with Jen she suggested checking & adding Strontium. since I have added strontium my acans/micros are looking great.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Blastos in particular (as well as other LPS) it is believed that there may be pathogen problems similar to those that Elegance coral experiences. There have been some suggested dips for this problem and it may be worth seeking out what exactly people are having success with.

As for the magnesium, I highly doubt it's a factor.

zookeepa103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i say around 1300-1400ppm is great. if you want optimum color, try to keep in this range. don't exceed 1500ppm.
most of the time i can't get it any higher than 1300ppm, i don't have anymore mag test so i'm kinda guessing lately. seems like i add it more than calcium sometimes which can't be right, can it?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 110 42.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 123 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.3%
Back