Magnificent Fan Shrimp Goby???

Jorden Watkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I just got a tank in trade and this fish came free with it!! And appearantly it lived in 60 degree stagnant water for a month after he tore the tank down, he had no idea it was in his sump...they seem to be pretty rare..I'm lookin for information on caring for this species. Thanks in advance!! First image from Google
image.png
image.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are small, but beyond that, not difficult, especially if he had been living in an unheated sump. They can easily get lost in larger setups.

OP
OP
Jorden Watkins

Jorden Watkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are small, but beyond that, not difficult, especially if he had been living in an unheated sump. They can easily get lost in larger setups.
Thanks! I appreciate the help, not much info on them out there. I'm going to put him in my 20 gal display fuge as the only fish and I've got a pistol shrimp in there for him. The fuge is barebottom, do you think I'll need to add a sandbed?

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not even exaggerating when I say this fish is on my dream fish list.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I appreciate the help, not much info on them out there. I'm going to put him in my 20 gal display fuge as the only fish and I've got a pistol shrimp in there for him. The fuge is barebottom, do you think I'll need to add a sandbed?
No, you won't need sand for it.

OP
OP
Jorden Watkins

Jorden Watkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to snap a picture already! Not the greatest quality because the side of my tank was a bit dirty but here he is next to my pistol shrimp, I hope they pair up soon!
image.png
Can anyone ID what kind of pistol shrimp I have?

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the Magnificent Shrimp Goby!
I'm a big fan of shrimp gobies and these fish are at the top of that list.

I've been able to witness a pair of these fish firsthand and they are on the smaller side for shrimp gobies. They will form a relationship with a pistol goby; your yellow pistol shrimp should do just fine.
A sand bed isn't necessary, but both the fish and the shrimp have the instincts to build and reside in a burrow. Without sand, they will find crevices and holes in your rock to find shelter. Adding a shallow sand bed will give the pair a better sense of security and will give the shrimp something to do. Pistol shrimps are notorious for constantly building/maintaining burrows for themselves and the fish. By adding a sand bed, the pair will have a better chance of exhibiting their natural behaviors and providing you with hours of enjoyment.

I have a nano I specifically set up for blennies and gobies as I enjoy these fish tremendously.
Good luck!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He doesn't have that yellow look to me. It's more of a grey/brown with a slight hint of red underneath. 2 blue dots on the tail

Ah well. I gave it a shot. The blue that is so prevalent in all of our pictures makes ID's hard sometimes. :)

If he's striped like that, with those colors it could be a tiger pistol

OP
OP
Jorden Watkins

Jorden Watkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the Magnificent Shrimp Goby!
I'm a big fan of shrimp gobies and these fish are at the top of that list.

I've been able to witness a pair of these fish firsthand and they are on the smaller side for shrimp gobies. They will form a relationship with a pistol goby; your yellow pistol shrimp should do just fine.
A sand bed isn't necessary, but both the fish and the shrimp have the instincts to build and reside in a burrow. Without sand, they will find crevices and holes in your rock to find shelter. Adding a shallow sand bed will give the pair a better sense of security and will give the shrimp something to do. Pistol shrimps are notorious for constantly building/maintaining burrows for themselves and the fish. By adding a sand bed, the pair will have a better chance of exhibiting their natural behaviors and providing you with hours of enjoyment.

I have a nano I specifically set up for blennies and gobies as I enjoy these fish tremendously.
Good luck!
Thanks for the info! I will be adding a sandbed for them soon. Are you sure mines a yellow pistol? In person he really doesn't look yellow at all like the one in that link above.

OP
OP
Jorden Watkins

Jorden Watkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah well. I gave it a shot. The blue that is so prevalent in all of our pictures makes ID's hard sometimes. :)

If he's striped like that, with those colors it could be a tiger pistol
I appreciate the help. well what ever it is, they've been staying fairly close by eachother, I wouldn't say they are paired yet. He used to be paired with a yellow watchman in my display but I got sick of the digging and burying corals.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back