Maiden hair algae!

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a first for me so reaching out to the algae pro's. I keep a relatively low nutrient sps dominated mix, and started seeing little tufts of green start popping up. OK no biggie I have four tangs and a fox face right? Wrong, in a weeks time this stuff doubled in size. OK no biggie I'll drop $400 and re up on the cuc along with an urchin right? Wrong, so after tons of research I'm somehow blessed with this miracle algae that's toxic, and can only find out how to properly take care of it and not how to eradicate it. Only change to the system has been six weeks of reef actif which has its own thread not trying to go there. Anybody? Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Graemesreef

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe i should have said really cool sps you cant afford but love to look at? Because thats what this is invading.

OP
OP
Graemesreef

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some pictures of this algae
I already know what it is. Not going down that rabbit hole. I appreciate it but looking for exterminators, not ID'S. I think I might have stumped the R2R on this one.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quick google indicates people use to buy/grow it as a macro algae. The toxins do seem to be a problem for herbivores. Any chance you can smother it out with some superglue or epoxy?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the sand i would pull as much of it out as possible. for on the rocks i would try to cut out as much of it as you can. this is personally how i would deal with it. will it work? i have no clue.

OP
OP
Graemesreef

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quick google indicates people use to buy/grow it as a macro algae. The toxins do seem to be a problem for herbivores. Any chance you can smother it out with some superglue or epoxy?
Epoxy might be a good idea

OP
OP
Graemesreef

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the sand i would pull as much of it out as possible. for on the rocks i would try to cut out as much of it as you can. this is personally how i would deal with it. will it work? i have no clue.
Not on the sand only rooted on rocks and tuff to get a hold of

Back