Maintenaning Low Nutrients in an AIO

ReefPress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious, what are people doing to maintain low nutrients in AIO Aquariums? For example, lights with cheato, mini reactors with biopellets, dosing, etc? Thanks!

José Morales

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious, what are people doing to maintain low nutrients in AIO Aquariums? For example, lights with cheato, mini reactors with biopellets, dosing, etc? Thanks!
Best bet in an AIO tank is using a little rowa in a media bag, changing socks every third day, and 20% WC every week works awesome for replenishing minerals and nutrient export

OP
OP
ReefPress

ReefPress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet in an AIO tank is using a little rowa in a media bag, changing socks every third day, and 20% WC every week works awesome for replenishing minerals and nutrient export
Just saw your post, but I very much appreciate the input. What's you take on a fuge light with the cheato?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw your post, but I very much appreciate the input. What's you take on a fuge light with the cheato?
You can make a chaeto reactor with a media reactor like the Aquamaxx fr-se or Two Little Fishies 150 media reactor. Just pick up the red and blue waterproof sticky led strip off amazon and tape around the reactor. Or you can try the Intank media basket for your AIO with a JBJ nano glo or the IM Magnafuge light. If you do the Intank route you might have to start the lights off at 4 hours and increase weekly as the lights are bright.

OP
OP
ReefPress

ReefPress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got you. Cause I just got the cheatomax light with the media basket. But I've been doing opposite my display light setting. Is that too long?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got you. Cause I just got the cheatomax light with the media basket. But I've been doing opposite my display light setting. Is that too long?
Might be. Watch your chaeto. If it starts turning yellow, the photoperiod is too long.

OP
OP
ReefPress

ReefPress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be. Watch your chaeto. If it starts turning yellow, the photoperiod is too long.
If I start at 4 hours, how long in between moving up the time period to a longer photo period?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I start at 4 hours, how long in between moving up the time period to a longer photo period?
I would make an hour long adjustment per 7 days. And I wouldn't exceed 10 hours of total light. Most if not all photosynthetic plant life still use photosynthesis 2 hours after lights are off. So making sure the fuge light is off two hours before reef lights will maintain the reverse light cycle.

OP
OP
ReefPress

ReefPress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make an hour long adjustment per 7 days. And I wouldn't exceed 10 hours of total light. Most if not all photosynthetic plant life still use photosynthesis 2 hours after lights are off. So making sure the fuge light is off two hours before reef lights will maintain the reverse light cycle.
I had to re do my take cause things were going crazy and I think I had super bad salt. But put new sand and rock. At this point it's diatoms, so now it's figuring out how to get through that stage.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to re do my take cause things were going crazy and I think I had super bad salt. But put new sand and rock. At this point it's diatoms, so now it's figuring out how to get through that stage.
Just let the diatoms come and go. The tank is going to go through some uglies. Just let it do its thing. I would let it sit without water changes for another month before adding fish. Copepods will feed on the diatoms. This will give the tank time to build its microfauna.

OP
OP
ReefPress

ReefPress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let the diatoms come and go. The tank is going to go through some uglies. Just let it do its thing. I would let it sit without water changes for another month before adding fish. Copepods will feed on the diatoms. This will give the tank time to build its microfauna.
Perfect! Thanks a lot!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 131 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back