Majano Suggestions

joemarchetti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, My LFS sold me a teardrop maxima that had a small anemone on the side. They said that it was a baby flower anemone (and I believed them because there was some similarity in appearance to my large flower anemone). Turns out it was a beautiful Majano!!! So, I am in a quandry as to what approach to take. I could: (1) go to jail for murder... but then my tank would all die anyway, (2) kill the majano instead of the LFS owner, or (3) let it live and try to contain it.
I was wondering about other people's experiences with Majanos. If it is on a clam in the center of the sand bed will it kill the clam? Will I be able to keep it on the clam and from spreading to the rocks that are at lease 8" away? Should I just zap the beautiful beast and be done with it while I still can?

OP
OP
J

joemarchetti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
I emailed Bob Fenner on WWM and he suggested the same thing. It seems to be a concensus that it is a bad idea to try and keep these guys.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of it. Can you remove the clam from the tank? If so, you should be able to scrape it off of the clam shell with a razor blade/knife, then put a layer of kalkwasser paste over the area to make sure some small bit of remaining tissue can't re-grow. Those things can be nasty invaders. Don't give them a chance.
Gary

kgross

Local Fish Store Owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also suggest getting it out of the tank. Majamos are not ugly, but they can be quite the pest when they get out of control.

With it being on a clam, I would remove the clam as Gary suggests.

Kim

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joes Juice! you cant control them they will spread rapidly. bought some discount live rock once that had a few and they spread like wild fire.

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put superglue into the mouth of the mojano (after you take the clam out of the water). Works for me everytime. I use the superglue gel so that there is little to no running.

OP
OP
J

joemarchetti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I killed them last night. I pulled the clam out of the tank and into a bucket. I put some kalk paste on each of them and let them retract. Then I scraped them off with a razor blade, kalk pasted the spot, scrubbed it with a tooth brush, kalked it again, and rinsed it in a seperate bucket of water before returning the clam to the dt. I think that I may have gotten a little kalk on the clam as the end that housed the majanos is not yet opening fully (the rest is though). Do you think that I may have killed my clam in the process. I hope not, she is beautiful.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you should have killed them off. I doubt you hurt your clam. Can't tell you how many times my derasa has been out of the tank for a good shell scrubbing. It opens up like nothing happened afterward.
Gary

kgross

Local Fish Store Owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt if you cause to much damage. Since the clam is opening at least part way I would be willing to bet it will be ok. You might have some strange colors for a while in the area it was burned but I think it will survive unless you burned it really bad, and you should notice dead tissue if that happened.

Kim

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut majanoes off with an exacto blade and then drill into the rock with a masonery bit to get the "root" or foot. Never used kalk and never had a majanoe reappear after I killed it.

OP
OP
J

joemarchetti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,
Bob Fenner suggested the razor blade, toothbrush, kalk paste treatment. Drilling sounds like a good idea for live rock but not so much for the clam shell.
I fed the majanos to my triggers and puffer. If they start growing in that tank it is fine with me. I don't think they will hurt the clown trigger much.

mak060

Reluctant Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm late on this one. From personal experience and advice from a highly rated LFS, Aiptasia-X works as well on majanos as on Aiptasia, just like Joe's. Sometimes you get the big one and hours later find a smaller one that had been covered by the big one. I love the stuff.

blkicebullys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KILL IT QUICK!! I have had to break a tank down because of the little ba%$*&%&!!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 60 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back