Majestic angelfish vs emperor angelfish growth rate

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast does the majestic angelfish grow compared to the emperor angelfish? Both would be purchased at around 1.5 inches.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, so the emperor would probably leave the majestic in the dust then. I'm wanting to get two small angelfish at the same time and grow them out.
The Majestic will grow maybe 2 inches in a year, the Emperor will grow maybe 3-4 within that same year. Another thing is the Emperor will get to over 1 foot in captivity.

2 angels that are small and won’t grow huge are;
Majestic and Regal, they both tend to get to around 6-7 inches in captivity due to their slow growth rate and also have a very similar growth rate.

OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Majestic will grow maybe 2 inches in a year, the Emperor will grow maybe 3-4 within that same year. Another thing is the Emperor will get to over 1 foot in captivity.

2 angels that are small and won’t grow huge are;
Majestic and Regal, they both tend to get to around 6-7 inches in captivity due to their slow growth rate and also have a very similar growth rate.
I have a 300 gallon FOWLR (96x24x30). I want to get them captive bred ideally, and they would be bought at the same time. I'm planning on some larger fish like a bird wrasse and harlequin tusk later on.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300 gallon FOWLR (96x24x30). I want to get them captive bred ideally, and they would be bought at the same time. I'm planning on some larger fish like a bird wrasse and harlequin tusk later on.
Are you wanting fast growth or slow growth?

OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you wanting fast growth or slow growth?
I'm wanting fast growth I think. I hope to get some of these larger fish like the tusk, bird wrasse, triggers, towards the end of year. I'd rather have my angels be large ( or atleast 3-4 inches) by then.

OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also know the emperor can be pretty aggressive when it grows up, so I'd be open to any other suggestions.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Majestics grow extremely slow compared to a majority of other large angelfish species (even with very significant feedings)
Your emperor is guaranteed to outpace the majestic in a years time by a rather significant margin as far as size goes.

Definitely possible the co-habit them but heavy feeding and a good mix of hiding areas and open swimming room is mandatory from experience (for any angelfish cohabiting for that matter).
20230216_173009.jpg

Pretty sure I have an even earlier photo somewhere but this was a year ago when the emperor and majestic ended up fairly close in size (this emperor was a lot smaller when purchased)
20231118_102103.jpg
20240123_170540.jpg
Much more recent photos to show how significantly larger it grew in comparison in less than a year.

I did notice the mention of a harlequin tusk which I would actually recommend adding before the sub adult+ phase of the emperor occurs preferably. They don't handle bullying very well in the introductory phase and will commonly go on hunger strikes if not established from experience.

OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I'm reconsidering the emperor, to be honest. They are my favorite large angelfish but I don't want to deal with a tank monster once it grows up. The tusk I'd be getting is captive bred as well, but according to biota they are 3 inches right now. If I get any tiny angelfish, I'm going to let them grow out for a few months before adding the tusk JUST incase I get an aggressive one.

Might just go with a majestic angelfish and let him grow out for awhile. They are really beautiful to me as well.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emperor is 5 years old and around 6.5” not one bit of aggression from him. I also have a bird wrasse and huma huma both of them are way worse. Three tangs as well my tangs are not aggressive to any other fish besides themselves once in a while. I would not hesitate to add both angels if I were you they will be fine if they get along from the start if they don’t you’d have to rehome one.

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting fast growth I think. I hope to get some of these larger fish like the tusk, bird wrasse, triggers, towards the end of year. I'd rather have my angels be large ( or atleast 3-4 inches) by then.
How about Maculosus & Scribbled? Both have a decent growth rate and more on the docile side. I miss my big Scrib. He was a total puppy dog. Everyone loved him when they came over.

angelsandtangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Majestic grow so so slow mine maybe an inch in 2 years .. bought a juvenile imperator the same day and was 3 inches and 1.5 smaller than the majestic now she’s pushing 8 inches

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I'm reconsidering the emperor, to be honest. They are my favorite large angelfish but I don't want to deal with a tank monster once it grows up. The tusk I'd be getting is captive bred as well, but according to biota they are 3 inches right now. If I get any tiny angelfish, I'm going to let them grow out for a few months before adding the tusk JUST incase I get an aggressive one.

Might just go with a majestic angelfish and let him grow out for awhile. They are really beautiful to me as well.
If it's your favorite then frankly I wouldn't settle for anything less than owning one.
They have fairly dynamic personalities and will definitely let you know if theyre upset at other tank mates with a grunt rivaled by very few other angels (I can hear my oldest emperors grunt inside the house and his tank is outside)
I have many tanks and any of my tanks thats intended to house large angelfish will always have an emperor of some variety without exception.

angelsandtangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's your favorite then frankly I wouldn't settle for anything less than owning one.
They have fairly dynamic personalities and will definitely let you know if theyre upset at other tank mates with a grunt rivaled by very few other angels (I can hear my oldest emperors grunt inside the house and his tank is outside)
I have many tanks and any of my tanks thats intended to house large angelfish will always have an emperor of some variety without exception.
I have a pair and they are definitely vocal especially when the lights go off or they see the wife to be fed

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang, so the emperor would probably leave the majestic in the dust then. I'm wanting to get two small angelfish at the same time and grow them out.
I apologize - I would not think the average hobbyist knows this answer - however, having both - Fish that grow up together tend to do fine together. Even IF emperors grow faster - and I do think they might. IMHO you can take a relative growth rate into account - Majestic angels get to be about 11-15 inches. Emperor angels are 15+ when adults

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back