Major drop in alk

SteelerMike

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
548
Reaction score
227
Location
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered this evening that my alk has dropped from 7.3 to 4.3 in the last week! Apparently my check valve from my regulator to my calcium reactor malfunctioned and was not allowing the CO2 into my reactor. That's my guess anyway. The regulator is working and when I tried to disconnect the check valve it broke so I can't really test my hypothesis. So what do I do now?!!.... My plan is to slowly bring the alk back up .5 a day dosing baking soda. Is that too fast..too slow? I have a mixed reef that I have been slowly turning more sps dominant. I have several large colonies and many small frags as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
 
Its been suggested that you can increase your alk up to 1.4dKH per day. But, to be safe, I'd keep it around 1dKH per day over the normal uptake level.
 
Depens on what kind of corals you have.
If SPS which are a pain I would just raise by 0.5 if any others like lps or softies go close to 1.0
 
Depens on what kind of corals you have.
If SPS which are a pain I would just raise by 0.5 if any others like lps or softies go close to 1.0

Thanks. I'm going to shoot for .5 per day. I'm thinking it dropped slowly as the alk naturally depleted itself without the CA reactor replenishing it so hopefully going back up slowly will reduce the impact on the corals. It is a mixed reef but the SPS are the corals I'm most concerned about...the others seem to be much more tolerant.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new