Make live rock dry rock

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I just started a new reef tank. I had an old one with roughly 20lbs of rock that had become infested with parasites and other unwanted stuff. Last night I put the rock in a 5 gallon bucket and filled it with tap water outside. I want to bleach it, but I forgot how lol. Any tips?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, put a cup of "Regular" Clorox in the bucket. You need to use "Regular" bleach, no scents or easy pour. I used that once and almost killed everything.

After a couple of days rinse it well and soak for a day or two, then let it air dry for a few days.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of bleach, I'd just let it sit outside in the sun for a number of days.

Once dried out, and everything is dead, put it in a new trashcan with fresh saltwater, heater and pump. Cycle the rock in the can, and scrub off any decaying organics.

OP
OP
O

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! It will be safe to put into the new tank after it’s been rinsed, soaked, and dried right?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it should be parasite free but if your problem is the rocks are full of nutrients i would not suggest using them in your new tank yet. I would "cook' the rocks. its not with a stove its solution to pollution by dilution , it totally works but it will take a few months.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back