Making a Refugium

GenericReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my tank back to the 10g realizing downsizing didn't accomplish much. The fish look much happier in the new tank, but I'm still left with the 5g tank. With this tank, I'm thinking of making a refugium. The tank can (kind of) fit into my kallax aquarium stand, but there is a 1/2-ish overhang. If I put it into the bottom square, would it be fine? Should I place a wedge underneath?
If the logistics even work, here are my thoughts on the refugium itself. The reason on why this is a refugium, and not a sump, is that I prefer the equipment stay above, for easy access just in case if something goes wrong. The look of it doesn't bother me too much, anyway. Nevertheless, how I plan to connect the main tank to the refugium is using a 1/2" airline tubing to siphon the water into the refugium, and using a return pump to bring it back.
In the refugium itself, there will be a sandbed (or should there not be?) and a lot of biomedia (biobricks, seachem matrix, etc) with some chaeto growing in it. The light for the refugium will be the light I got with the 5g tank; a light with 3 bright white LEDs. Does this sound good? Is it all even possible? Share your thoughts! :D

Thanks,
GenericReefer

Last edited:

Richard the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its possible for sure! I would use some type of pump rather than syphon to get it into the refugium. Problem being, if the syphon breaks while you aren't around your pump will run dry and you will kill all your living organisms in the refugium and likely the pump. Other than that it should work just fine in my opinion!!! Great idea

OP
OP
GenericReefer

GenericReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its possible for sure! I would use some type of pump rather than syphon to get it into the refugium. Problem being, if the syphon breaks while you aren't around your pump will run dry and you will kill all your living organisms in the refugium and likely the pump. Other than that it should work just fine in my opinion!!! Great idea
What pumps are that reliable? It's too late for an overflow (and I doubt I'd go through with it), so what other options are there?

Richard the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pumps are that reliable? It's too late for an overflow (and I doubt I'd go through with it), so what other options are there?
Do you have a local LFS that would have that stuff? Petco usually carries small pumps. I've never done a small setup like that. But the web should be able to give options for it. And I dont think drilling or anything overflow would be necessary at this point. Anyone else have some advice?

OP
OP
GenericReefer

GenericReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! I found somebody willing to take my 5 gallon tank for a drilled 10 gallon with the bulkheads (definitely a steal). I also got a sturdy bookshelf to put the refugium (now sump) in.

Richard the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! I found somebody willing to take my 5 gallon tank for a drilled 10 gallon with the bulkheads (definitely a steal). I also got a sturdy bookshelf to put the refugium (now sump) in.
That is awesome! Happy for you as well! I hope everything works out great!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back