Making my own Durso. No need for glue?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm making my own Durso pipe and other than gluing it into the bulkhead, the online info I found said no need to glue all the pieces together. Is that correct? The info I had actually said to use teflon tape on joints (but since they're not threaded that sounds odd). I should glue the bottom piece into the slip bulkhead though, right?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say that the way I did it was correct but I glued the vertical pvc pipe into the slip bulkhead, because if the return pump is off I don't want all of the water in the overflow to drain to my sump if that joint leaks. The top tee and 90 I did not glue because if there is a small leak at any of those joints it won't make much if any difference.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say that the way I did it was correct but I glued the vertical pvc pipe into the slip bulkhead, because if the return pump is off I don't want all of the water in the overflow to drain to my sump if that joint leaks. The top tee and 90 I did not glue because if there is a small leak at any of those joints it won't make much if any difference.
that's what I'm thinking too, just wanted to double check. Thanks.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's what I'm thinking too, just wanted to double check. Thanks.
Again not saying I did it correctly (if there even is a correct way), but that was my logic for why I glued the bottom joint into the bulkhead.

And from the looks of things I am in the minority. It doesn't seem like too hard of a thing to take the tee and 90 off and run a brush down the vertical pipe for cleaning. It probably doesn't make much of a difference either way honestly.

For those who don't glue into the bulkhead, does that joint leak any, causing the water in the overflow to go to the sump if the return pump is off? Also the size of the overflow would make a difference IMO. Mine are the corner overflows on a 125g so they hold a decent amount of water. If I had a relatively small external overflow I probably wouldn't have glued it.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would not glue anything. Easier to disassemble and there is no need for glue.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Should I not glue any of the drain pieces into the bulkheads?

For the record, here’s what I have built. I have a street el on order instead of this 90.

B50379C5-0029-4990-ABA1-C85D9AEA560B.jpeg

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would glue the pipe to the reducer on both sides but nothing else. You want to be able to easily pull the pipe out when cleaning and that small piece of pipe will be difficult to grab if it doesn't come out with the larger part of the durso.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would glue the pipe to the reducer on both sides but nothing else. You want to be able to easily pull the pipe out when cleaning and that small piece of pipe will be difficult to grab if it doesn't come out with the larger part of the durso.
Oh, that's a good point. Seems like a good idea.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back