Making own Iodine Solution

ReefMan692

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering where I can find some chemical to get IO3-

After researching in the Chemical Oceanography by Millero he says Iodine most likely occur as IO3- but I am not sure if this is Lugol's or not. Based on other information I do not believe it is Lugol's,

I am having trouble finding something that would work on Sigma-Aldrich or I am just unsure what I am looking for.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not Lugols (a mix of I2 and I-)

I also do not recommend dosing iodate. I have, with suboptimal results.

Iodate is not readily bioavailable, and it can accumulate in the tank (mine did).

I'd stick to dosing iodide if you feel the desire to dose iodine (it wasn't useful in my tank).

OP
OP
ReefMan692

ReefMan692

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy! I am trying to come up with my own "trace elements" mix because quite frankly a lot of the commercial products are stupid expensive.

I found "Marine Broth" on Sigma Aldrich if you have ever seen that. It seems to have most of what I need but I could do without the yeast, sodium, nitrates and phosphate although they are in there at pretty minor amounts

So i was thinking to craft my own with powders of the various elements I care about and iodine/strontium is something a lot of folks "believe" in.

But I also really appreciate you sharing your own personal experience because that is worth its weight in gold! Thanks for the advice

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy! I am trying to come up with my own "trace elements" mix because quite frankly a lot of the commercial products are stupid expensive.

I found "Marine Broth" on Sigma Aldrich if you have ever seen that. It seems to have most of what I need but I could do without the yeast, sodium, nitrates and phosphate although they are in there at pretty minor amounts

So i was thinking to craft my own with powders of the various elements I care about and iodine/strontium is something a lot of folks "believe" in.

But I also really appreciate you sharing your own personal experience because that is worth its weight in gold! Thanks for the advice

There are a bunch of threads on DIY dosing in this forum, and here's sodium iodide from Amazon:

Back