Male clown acting funny

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I noticed my smaller, male clown acting a bit weird.
It's bonded to a larger female, and usually spend a lot of time near each other.
Evenings they tend to find a corner and kinda nestle together near the bottom.

Yesterday night, I looked in, and the smaller one had found a tiny, and I mean really tiny: he barely fit, hole in the rock and had kinda wedged itself in. I put my hand in the tank to see if it was ok, and it immediately dashed out, and behind the rock. And then was chased somewhat aggressively by the larger clown. I'd never seen them show any aggression to each other, or anything else, really.

Eventually, it found a corner and kinda settled down, but it kinda looked ... I dunno... not right. I went to bed and got up and now he seems fine? Swimming around, eating like a pig when fed.

Water params look good, I'd just run a full gamut earlier in the day: Salinity: 1.024, T: 79.0, pH: 8.1, dKH: 7.2, NH3: 0, NO3: 11ppb, Phosphorus: 7ppn, Ca: 493, Phosphate: 0.09ppm, Mg: 900. dKH is a little low, as is Magnesium, and Calcium perhaps a bit high, both likely mitigated by a 5g water change earlier in the day (post-readings).

I'd tried adding an LTA in the days before, which didn't go well, said LTA is now in another tank.

I'd added several small Zoa frags in the weeks before, but they didn't seem to have any effect.

A few hours before this behavior, I'd dipped and added a lavender mushroom (was a bit stressed from shipment, and had the stringy stuff, which has now mostly retracted), as well as some small frags: Taro Tree, Neon Pineapple Tree, Blue Cespitularia, White Pom Pom Xenia. All of those seem fine, one of the trees is fully erect, the other is still kinda slumped.

No new fish, no changes in lighting, no obvious wounds, spots, or anything else that would physically tell me the fish is sick.

All fish went through a full QT before they went in the tank (months ago), though the corals have just gotten a rinse in Bayer then Revive before going into the tank, no bag water allowed in, and the plugs they are on scrubbed with a toothbrush.

Is this something any of you have seen before?

Hopefully, just them being weird?

--Gray

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be frank with you, clowns are weird. Females and Males can be bonded to another for years, and you will still see random and violent acts of aggression from the female. Clownfish are seriously weird. If you see a change in energy for more than 24 hours, then it is time to worry. What you said about the clown swimming into a rock was weird, however. Is there an anemone in your tank, or anything that the clowns may host?

Rednamalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my clown for years, and I will agree with Evan, they are weird! My clown who I have had for 6 years always sleeps at the very surface of the water at night, but when day comes, he acts totally fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would not dip mushrooms. Bump salinity to 1.025 and assure moderate light and water flow

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,i do give mushrooms a "quick" fresh water swish ,looking for flatworms,as far as clowns sounds normal,watch for very aggresive fighting,fin grabbing,lip locking,that would be time for mama to go to isolation box for a few days

OP
OP
gray808

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, a few more days of observation: I've come to the conclusion the male clown isn't sick. It's just being harassed by his mate, who has suddenly decided to be a jerk.

She chases him around and harasses him.

No physical fighting that I've seen yet.

Weirdos.

--Gray

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back