Male melanurus getting aggressive

CMatlosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home today to find my female leopard wrasse in my overflow box. I figured maybe she got spooked and jumped, luckily I have a screen top which kept her in the tank, somewhat anyways.

So after some cursing and struggling I caught her in the overflow and back into the display she went. Immediately I noticed why she was in the overflow...seemingly overnight my larger male melanurus decided he didn't like her around. I observed him chasing her around my 120 for about 15 minutes on and off before she gave up and dove into the sand for the night (it was almost lights out anyways). I'm a little confused by this behavior since they've been together for close to 6 months with hardly any aggression.

This is my first time with a melanurus, I didn't think they were a particularly aggressive species. Has anyone experienced this before? Comments, suggestions? If it comes down to it I would remove the melanurus, the female leopard is beautiful and one of my favorite fish.

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melanurus wrasse is slightly aggressive towards my six line and also my fairy wrasse especially when he thinks its feeding time, other than feeding time he does not bother the other wrasses

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Individual melanurus wrasses can vary as far as aggression goes. As they or other wrasses in the tank mature, dynamics and relationships between fish can change.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Individual melanurus wrasses can vary as far as aggression goes. As they or other wrasses in the tank mature, dynamics and relationships between fish can change.
+1

It's also possible that your leopard wrasse has begun to transition to male, and this can be enough to upset the balance between these two individuals.

At this point, it's quite likely you will need to make a choice between the two fish and remove the other. Serious aggression issues once they arise hardly ever get better.

OP
OP
C

CMatlosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input.

I had not considered the possibility that the leopard was transitioning. I purchased them both with the understanding that a 120 was large enough for them both. Was that not a good assumption?

FYI I also have a small yellow Coris, but hardly anyone even acknowledges it exists.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased them both with the understanding that a 120 was large enough for them both. Was that not a good assumption?
Generally speaking, yes - a good assumption. However, things don't always conform to the guidelines.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melanurus likes to terrorize a slightly smaller male Carpenter's flasher wrasse, who's now hiding much of the time (except for meals, he doesn't miss those) and losing his flashy color. The Carpenter's wrasse was there first but the melanurus couldn't care less.

Fish are a pain in the butt. :)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melanurus likes to terrorize a slightly smaller male Carpenter's flasher wrasse, who's now hiding much of the time (except for meals, he doesn't miss those) and losing his flashy color.
The carpenters will wither away and perish unless you intervene.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I don't really want to remove the melanurus, he's a fantastic fish otherwise. And I doubt I'd be able to use a trap to catch the Carpenter's, he's much too wary now. So, what other options do I have?

The endlessly recurrent problem of keeping fish in a reef tank. I've never figured out how people wind up with such placid looking fish groupings in pictures. Must be a lot of trial and error. Even my 7 Bartlett's Anthiases don't display any schooling behavior, they're constantly bickering, even with abundant swimming room and plenty of food. o_O

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I don't really want to remove the melanurus, he's a fantastic fish otherwise. And I doubt I'd be able to use a trap to catch the Carpenter's, he's much too wary now. So, what other options do I have?

The endlessly recurrent problem of keeping fish in a reef tank. I've never figured out how people wind up with such placid looking fish groupings in pictures. Must be a lot of trial and error. Even my 7 Bartlett's Anthiases don't display any schooling behavior, they're constantly bickering, even with abundant swimming room and plenty of food. o_O
Trapping the melanurus and placing in an acclimation box for a few days can help embolden the carpenter.

Bartletts are known to be pretty feisty to conspecifics.

R€€F @DD¡ÇT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same problem with a melanarus and yellow fin flasher.

Sumped the melanarus for 5 days and added a McCoskers flasher to the dt.

When the melanarus got into the dt there were two smaller wrasses for him to ha"wrasse". Now they all get along apart from the quick chase every so often between the two flashers.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trapping the melanurus and placing in an acclimation box for a few days can help embolden the carpenter.

Bartletts are known to be pretty feisty to conspecifics.

I was actually wondering if a week of time out for pinstriper would make any difference. I think I'll try it. Adding another small flasher in the mean time also might not be a bad idea.

Hah, 'known' feisty Bartletts! Yeah, I know now.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carpenters will wither away and perish unless you intervene.

Update:

So my Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse is still alive and doing well!

Here's what happened. I didn't try to remove either it or the aggressive Melanurus. Nor did I add more fish, as there are probably too many in there already. But my tank does have lots of crevices, dark recesses, and swimthroughs, and the Carpenter's pretty much stayed in these areas for a couple of months, to avoid the Melanurus' attention, except during mealtimes when he would dare to venture out in quick darts. It was alive, but not growing much, and quite pale. Meanwhile, the Melanurus has of course thrived, as probably the most adept food finder and eater in the tank, and has been growing rapidly.

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed that the now much larger Melanurus Wrasse seems to care less and less about the Carpenter's Wrasse. The Carpenter's has noticed this too and is now out and active most of the time, and his coloration has brightened quite dramatically. I'm amazed that this has worked out the way it has. :)

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home today to find my female leopard wrasse in my overflow box. I figured maybe she got spooked and jumped, luckily I have a screen top which kept her in the tank, somewhat anyways.

So after some cursing and struggling I caught her in the overflow and back into the display she went. Immediately I noticed why she was in the overflow...seemingly overnight my larger male melanurus decided he didn't like her around. I observed him chasing her around my 120 for about 15 minutes on and off before she gave up and dove into the sand for the night (it was almost lights out anyways). I'm a little confused by this behavior since they've been together for close to 6 months with hardly any aggression.

This is my first time with a melanurus, I didn't think they were a particularly aggressive species. Has anyone experienced this before? Comments, suggestions? If it comes down to it I would remove the melanurus, the female leopard is beautiful and one of my favorite fish.

@4FordFamily, any insight?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap, now I am wary of adding a Christmas Wrasse to my tank. My Melanurus is still a juvie, but I have to plan long term.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your only option is to remove the leopard and send it my way!

But seriously, yes I've had melanarus get aggressive and needed to be removed. It doesn' always happen but it certainly can.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melanarus have been pretty mild, I’ve heard of some being aggressive. I keep them with usually 3-4 other wrasse so I’ve had virtually no problem. As large adult males they can be more aggressive. Also, I keep lots of large aggressive tangs so they aren’t really high on the totem pole.

OP
OP
C

CMatlosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will provide my own update as well:

The Leopard ended up in the overflow again about a week later but since then the melanurus has chilled out and mostly left the leopard alone, I don't see much aggression between the two at all now. Not sure what changed but they worked it out.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I added a melanarus about 2 weeks ago. Came back from a 2-day vacation and thought my orange back fairy was dead. Turns out he was just hiding from the melanarus. They had not show any issues before I left. What changed is I tried feeding from a reefsicle and I believe the lack of broadcast food made for much more competition, and therefore aggression. Back to feeding manually for now as the orange back does come out to eat though gets harassed by the melanarus. I'm hoping regular "normal" feeding will reduce the aggression. If not, I'll make a trap and try to move the melanarus to the fuge or 60 cube.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a Melanurus and a Leapord wrasse in a 4 foot 55g. Rock work has lots of caves, bridges, etc... and it's centered in the middle of the tank so there is swimming room in front and back... my fish usually circle around the rock like an oval loop... pretty cool. Anyway, they get a long just fine. They do not bother each other, almost non existent to each other. My melanurus is the oldest fish in the tank, he's been in there for 9 months and is 4.5 inches, the leapord has been in there about 5 months, at only 3 inches... then again my melanurus is pretty friendly and has been since i got him. the only thing he goes after is new snails that i throw in the tank, but then again he probably thinks those are food. Oh, and he is super aggressive towards his reflection in the glass... i think he's going to dislocate his whole face one day from trying to bite himself non stop lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back