Man made live rock or real live rock?

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems pretty much all rock you get today is going to be mined then farmed. The porosity is a valid point. The first layers of strata in a limestone deposit are porous, Being the most recently deposited layers. As you get deeper into the stratigraphy, porosity is reduced do to pressure and chemical precipitation.
The live rock fm the “good old days” was obtained fm surface reefs by use of explosives, i.e. abundance of life and porosity.

specwar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems pretty much all rock you get today is going to be mined then farmed. The porosity is a valid point. The first layers of strata in a limestone deposit are porous, Being the most recently deposited layers. As you get deeper into the stratigraphy, porosity is reduced do to pressure and chemical precipitation.
The live rock fm the “good old days” was obtained fm surface reefs by use of explosives, i.e. abundance of life and porosity.
Lets not forget the thrill of blowing up stuff! What a cool job!

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets not forget the thrill of blowing up stuff! What a cool job!
Be careful! The politically correct police might get you for that one ...... not to mention several others.... but yea I must admit. Explosives can b fun!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah the age old debate, completely quarantine or diversify. There is no real right answer. Some people diversify as much as possible and get burned. Some people quarantine everything and get burned anyway. I went the diversify route and so far everything has been beneficial. I used live substrate and live rocks from 3 different stores and have all sorts of life that I didn't pay for. Ended up with a diverse population of snails breeding and more amphipods and copepods than I know what to do with.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that was in the ocean (recently and kept wet) will be better than anything that you found in an LFS, antique shop, supermarket, bicycle store or Macy's.

I make most of my rock now just because I like it better but I found all my real rock in the sea and I still collect it here in New York for the bacteria and life.
To me, hitchhikers are of no concern. :cool:

I even made this bottle and about 15 others. :p

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back