Managing ammonia in QT with cupramine

crazyclownlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read alot of threads about this but I still have specific questions related to my scenario.

this is my first quarantine. I am using cupramine and keeping the level between 0.5 and 0.55 (using hanna checker). I am also dosing metroplex for brook (fish was exposed to brook).

i bought the seachem ammonia badge because i understand my test kits won’t work to monitor ammonia.

last night i noticed the sensor turning green. Since i was moving the tank further away from my display tanks anyways, I decided to do a very large (90%?) water change to correct the ammonia issue. The sensor looks more yellow now but its still a little green.

i understand I can’t use Prime to protect my fish from ammonia.

1) Can i use Seachem Stability with Cupramine and Metroplex?
2) Can I bring more bioballs over from my DT or will that just make my fish more sick since the DT is infected?
3) Any other solutions or should I just continue with the water changes?

A5B07A57-7B19-47C1-A75F-07DFD4AE221D.jpeg

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can help you with your first question and yes it is safe to use stability with the products you listed.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those sensors will turn green to the human eye, but that doesn’t mean it’s actually green. You need to shine a light behind the sensor. It will turn bright yellow when safe. If there is ammonia, the sensor will have a green hue even when there is a light behind it.

If you add bioballs from the display, the clock needs to restart since the last addition.

Do not use prime.

Seachem stability will not work once there is therapeutic copper in the water.

Just do water changes as needed (redose copper into the new water prior to the water change).

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seachems site: It's safe to use Cupramine™ alongside many of the other Seachem products except for those that fall into the category of "reducing agents". Cupramine™ does not interact with any of the Seachem® medications except ParaGuard™ and StressGuard™. Cupramine™ should never be used with these products.
also the bacteria used in seachems stability works well when dosed daily but unfortunately wont colonize on the long term.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Can i use Seachem Stability with Cupramine and Metroplex? Technically yes, but I am always a bit weary about using ammonia reducing agents with cupramine. There are better tools of managing ammonia as listed below.

2) Can I bring more bioballs over from my DT or will that just make my fish more sick since the DT is infected? The clock starts over, how long has the fish been in QT? If it's been a short period of time, you might find it beneficial to add bioballs media to neutralize ammonia spikes. This is really depends how long the QT been running for and how sick your fish is.

3) Any other solutions or should I just continue with the water changes? Water changes are going to be key in managing water quality and ammonia. DON'T overfeed and siphon the bottom of the aquarium to remove waste and left over food.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back