Cupramine dosing with Hanna Checker

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

It is my first time to use copper to quarantine.

I just purchased a new hanna copper checker and a new SeaChem Cupramine. I went through a lot of threads here and decided to dose and improve the concentration slowly (instead of the 48 hours as the official instruction, I add half every 24 hours in the first 4 days).

To be more specific, I have 5 gallon water, with the official instruction I should add 10 drops at day 1, and another 10 drops at day 3, 20 drops in total. Instead, I added 5 drops everyday for 4 days, it should achieve 0.5ppm but I test twice and only get 0.15ppm. Then I add 10 more drops, but it is just 0.18. This excludes the probability of time reduction.

The only media I put in the HOB is floss.

Any thoughts will help, I am worried the problem is the checker, so I don't know whether keep on dosing or not.

IMG_0436.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi R2R,

I just purchased a new hanna copper checker and a new SeaChem Cupramine. I went through a lot of threads here and decided to dose and improve the concentration slowly (instead of the 48 hours as the official instruction, I add half every 24 hours in the first 4 days).

To be more specific, I have 5 gallon water, with the official instruction I should add 10 drops at day 1, and another 10 drops at day 3, 20 drops in total. Instead, I added 5 drops everyday for 4 days, it should achieve 0.5ppm but I test twice and only get 0.15ppm. Then I add 10 more drops, but it is just 0.18. This excludes the probability of time reduction.

Any thoughts will help, I am worried the problem is the checker, so I don't know whether keep on dosing or not.

IMG_0436.jpeg
Dose at max level .5 for full 30 days and monitor ammonia level

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I know it should be .5 as therapeutic level, my question is why the concentration is so low w.r.t. the correct dosing
It’s ionic and more potent than chelated form

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

IMG_0436.jpeg

Do you have the HR Hanna HI702 or the the low range, HI747? The low range is better for the range that ionic copper like cupramine is used at, while the high range is best for amine-chelated copper like Coppersafe. If you use the high range to test for ionic copper at lower levels, the accuracy of the device can muddle the readings. On the other hand, the low range unit does not specifically say that it can be used in marine aquariums, it only mentions freshwater. As far as I know, both tests use the same reagent, so the low range should work, Hanna just doesn't actually say that it does.

Either way - your readings are off by a lot more than can be accounted for by testing error with the readers themselves.

What you should do is mix up exactly one gallon of seawater. Run the Hanna tester on that, it should read zero (not blinking showing less than zero). Then add exactly two drops of the cupramine, and stir well and test that. You should get a reading of slightly more than 0.50 ppm. If you don't, then it is most likely an issue with the cupramine.

Just for future reference, don't take four days to get to full copper, 48 hours is best for ionic copper, while amine chelated copper can get to full dose in a few hours.

Jay

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the HR Hanna HI702 or the the low range, HI747? The low range is better for the range that ionic copper like cupramine is used at, while the high range is best for amine-chelated copper like Coppersafe. If you use the high range to test for ionic copper at lower levels, the accuracy of the device can muddle the readings. On the other hand, the low range unit does not specifically say that it can be used in marine aquariums, it only mentions freshwater. As far as I know, both tests use the same reagent, so the low range should work, Hanna just doesn't actually say that it does.

Either way - your readings are off by a lot more than can be accounted for by testing error with the readers themselves.

What you should do is mix up exactly one gallon of seawater. Run the Hanna tester on that, it should read zero (not blinking showing less than zero). Then add exactly two drops of the cupramine, and stir well and test that. You should get a reading of slightly more than 0.50 ppm. If you don't, then it is most likely an issue with the cupramine.

Just for future reference, don't take four days to get to full copper, 48 hours is best for ionic copper, while amine chelated copper can get to full dose in a few hours.

Jay
Thank you Jay! I use 702 HR. I didn't know there are 2 types. By the way, for cupramine, whether Hanna is the most accurate? Or the SeaChem checker?

I take 4 days choice after reading some related threads and some other say this is more beneficial for the fish. I will not do this in the future, thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay! I use 702 HR. I didn't know there are 2 types. By the way, for cupramine, whether Hanna is the most accurate? Or the SeaChem checker?

I take 4 days choice after reading some related threads and some other say this is more beneficial for the fish. I will not do this in the future, thanks.
I’d say the Hanna HR is going to give more accurate results than the Seachem, mainly due to removing the ambiguity of trying to match color changes.
The danger in taking longer to get to full copper is that until you reach a full dose, the fish aren’t protected. You don’t want to dose ionic copper faster than 48 hours though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back