Managing PH - with fresh air?

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - just I'm currently running the airline off my skimmer and found it to be amazing...for raising my PH.

I started doing this on my second tank - but suddenly got concerned about pulling in excess toxins, since I've got the second airline....running out the front of my house (big parking lot - plants out front).

Is there anything I can do or add - to ensure that my system isn't gonna pull in toxins? Almost like the filter...on a cigarette??

...hey, that's not a bad idea - I wonder if a cigarette filter would actually work?

Anyone got any tips or tricks?

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume the best filter would be one with activated carbon. you can probably hook it up to a carbon canister.

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume the best filter would be one with activated carbon. you can probably hook it up to a carbon canister.
Would carbon in the tank - help neutralize toxins that "may" may their way in?

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to be super careful not to restrict airflow into the skimmer, for that reason I run 1/2" pipe from outside to the skimmer line and I have it as short as possible. I actually have that same concern with pulling in random crud and I've been thinking about some of the automotive air filters, or vacuum options that are available mounted just under the roof sill to keep water away. They are very high flow and won't restrict the limited air pulling ability of the skimmer. I might need to make something to connect it though.

Whiskey

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that carbon is probably best reasonable approach to clean that air. I would personally not be especially worried about most pollution. I mean if it is near a busy highway with high co2 then you are probably defeating the purpose lol, but generally I dont think most air pollution is a huge concern (realistically that air pollution is probably already getting in your house anyway to some extent).

The one thing I would be concerned about is things like insecticide sprays, mosquito foggers, etc if they were used right at your intake. In my case I live in a rural area and none of that is going to happen without me doing it so I just take care not to spray any insecticides into my intake :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - just I'm currently running the airline off my skimmer and found it to be amazing...for raising my PH.

I started doing this on my second tank - but suddenly got concerned about pulling in excess toxins, since I've got the second airline....running out the front of my house (big parking lot - plants out front).

Is there anything I can do or add - to ensure that my system isn't gonna pull in toxins? Almost like the filter...on a cigarette??

...hey, that's not a bad idea - I wonder if a cigarette filter would actually work?

Anyone got any tips or tricks?

GAC would be the thing to use, but unless someone is applying things like insecticides outside, the indoor air is more likely polluted than the outdoor air.

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that carbon is probably best reasonable approach to clean that air. I would personally not be especially worried about most pollution. I mean if it is near a busy highway with high co2 then you are probably defeating the purpose lol, but generally I dont think most air pollution is a huge concern (realistically that air pollution is probably already getting in your house anyway to some extent).

The one thing I would be concerned about is things like insecticide sprays, mosquito foggers, etc if they were used right at your intake. In my case I live in a rural area and none of that is going to happen without me doing it so I just take care not to spray any insecticides into my intake :)
Yes, I actually put a nylon cover - over the hose. Just to prevent anything crawling up there :)

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GAC would be the thing to use, but unless someone is applying things like insecticides outside, the indoor air is more likely polluted than the outdoor air.
Excellent point. Maybe over thinking this one - glad to hear, the general consensus is.....should be more than safe.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back