High PH & Overall Stability

ihatecfinch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing a lot of reading on PH and while opinions seem to vary quite a bit the general consensus is 8.3 is the ideal value and swings are part of the deal even naturally in the ocean.

Currently I’m hitting a peak of 8.55 and a low of 8.25. I’ve been making a lot of adjustments trying to minimize my ph swing but nothing seems to be doing much.

I started off by dealing with low ph and it just seemed to keep gradually dropping till I was hitting about 7.5 overnight. I ran an airline outside but didn’t seem to be recovering to my target still barely breaking 8 during the day. Which prompted me to setup a brs c02 scrubber which boosts my ph to a range of about 8.15 to 8.35 which to me felt ideal. After that I decided to recirculate my skimmer which had little effect on ph.

That’s when I decided to take down my led light fixtures and switch to metal halide with reef brite bars. The very first day I saw my ph shoot up to nearly 8.6 when I shut them down. I scheduled my skimmer to turn off an hour before my halides kicked on to allow the ph to dip a bit before hand. That got me to a high of around 8.5 and low of about 8.1. I did not realize the impact switching to this light setup would have on my overall ph.

To give myself some adjustment I decided to add a motorized ball valve to my skimmer airline to allow me to run my skimmer and bring down the ph a little at the same time. This got my high up to 8.55 and my low to 8.25 where I’m at currently. I can’t seem to keep my setup from going over 8.5 which from my understanding isn’t good.

I’ve considered running the scrubber bypass back indoors where I have several dogs, kids etc and my ph issues originated from and maybe adding a 2nd valve to make sure absolutely zero air can make it through the scrubber. Also considered an air pump in addition to the bypass to try and keep the ph from spiking as much. Just not sure any of these things will stop the ph from rising so high.

Now I’m not 100% my ph being so high is a problem. Alternatively I could accept the swing and try to use the scrubber bypass to lower my ph more overnight so when it does spike it’s not as high. With the leds my ph was a more gradual climb and this seems more like an abrubt spike which I’m not sure if that has a negative effect on things. Everything is just so stable in my tank and this is the last thing I have to mess around with just trying to figure out my next moves or if this is even worth pursuing.

OP
OP
I

ihatecfinch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH ran 8.30 to 8.55 for many years and I considered it fine.
Yeah everything in my tank looks great! I just always read to not go over 8.5 and I purchased a clam which included paperwork that said don't go over 8.5 so I started thinking again about how I'm going to fix this.

Reducing the ph swing just doesn't seem feasible either. I know I'm pumping fresh air in through my skimmer now that I have the bypass setup so even tho my ph is higher than I want I'm assuming its fairly safe.

Would ph that high be counter productive in terms of growth?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photosynthetic boost is real. I am not shocked that more spectrum and amount of light caused your pH to rise when the lights were on.

If your meter/probe/whatever is accurate, then you are fine. I have halides, low co2 in the home and my pH is always good and my clams never minded anything. I get over 8.5 on occasion, but never thought that my pH pen was good enough to really care about it - it could be .1 either way most likely.

OP
OP
I

ihatecfinch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night I adjusted my bypass valve to bring my ph down to 8.14 and currently I’m at 8.39 which I’m estimating a peak of 8.45 today which is less than 8.5 so I think I’ll just play with the exact figure I’m going to drop my ph to and accept the swing.

That was kind of the underlying thing I was looking for was the swing. When I was on LED’s I had it down to .2 over 24 hours and with halides I’m around .3-.35 for the ph swing. I don’t see myself fixing that so I’ll just settle on a value and leave it alone. I have the tendency to do more harm than good overthinking everything anyways.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest getting subscription to Peloton and exercising around the time when pH is getting high.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up / transfer my tank this weekend and I'm already noticing my PH going over 8.4 almost .5
In the other tank it rarely got to past 8.3

I dont want to start tinkering with the set up.
I did add a ton more lighting than what I had on the other tank but I wasn't aware that the lights could be a cause for my ph to shoot up like this

Should I turn off the lights earlier, or shut the skimmer down for a few HR?
Would that help?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up / transfer my tank this weekend and I'm already noticing my PH going over 8.4 almost .5
In the other tank it rarely got to past 8.3

I dont want to start tinkering with the set up.
I did add a ton more lighting than what I had on the other tank but I wasn't aware that the lights could be a cause for my ph to shoot up like this

Should I turn off the lights earlier, or shut the skimmer down for a few HR?
Would that help?

I don't think lowering the pH by reducing lighting should be a goal, if you otherwise want the lights at that level.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back