Mandarin Care and Feeding for A Newbie

TerryLowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I just purchased a tank from a person that was getting out of the hobby. I had a freshwater tank before but this is my first go at a salt tank. I've had the tank for only four days. The clown, starfish, and cardinal all eat like pigs. They gobble up the frozen food before it can drift down to the mandarin (He looks happy but I have not seen him eat a bite) I've searched the forums and I am a bit confused as I am still learning "aquarium keeper speak". I am waiting on a return text from the prior owner. I am hoping he is not brand new and has already been trained to eat

*how do I train a fish to eat?
*what is the best food? Is it available online? Do I pour live critters in my tank for him or try to offer frozen treats?
*how do I get the food down to him without the other fish gobbling it up.
*do I need to use a feeding station? Sink a jar into my tank?
*how can any creature be so darn beautiful?

Be gentle. This is only my second post other than my introduction post.

My setup:
-125 gallon tank
-2 big under cabinet closed filter doodads (no sump)
-lots of live rock and sand with snails and hermit crabs
-hang on back protein skimmer
-water chemistries are all still normal except the salt went high after transport (wondering if sloshing the water and tank may have caused some solid salt to go into solution, but that is for another topic)

Terry

9aha9y2u.jpg

SunCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for about 5 years now and he is still my favorite fish. From my understanding they will be fine as long as you have cpods living in your sump(I do) therefore they reproduce and keep my guy happy. I also hear they are a hit and miss fish like a copperband, also you need to make sure your tank is quite established. ...here is a pic of my buddy.

Attachments

• 1377745009941.jpg
    1377745009941.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 187
OP
OP
T

TerryLowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for about 5 years now and he is still my favorite fish. From my understanding they will be fine as long as you have cpods living in your sump(I do) therefore they reproduce and keep my guy happy. I also hear they are a hit and miss fish like a copperband, also you need to make sure your tank is quite established. ...here is a pic of my buddy.

He is a hunk!

I don't have a sump. So do I buy a bottle of cpods and pour them in my tank?

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep they only eat pods... some places sell live pods in a bottle

Last edited:

Oliver_Klosoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few questions for you on some history. How long had the previous owner have the tank running? Next when you moved the tank did you keep any live rock the they had wet or submerged while you broke down and then set up your tank?

The reasons I ask is if the previous owner only had the tank up and running for a few months you will not have many pods and will likely have to buy some live ones. If the tank had been set up for awhile and you let the live rock dry you will have lost most of any pods that were in the tank and have to buy some new ones. If you moved the tank with the live rocks wet then you are likely good. To make sure find a red lensed flashlight and after your lights have been out for a few hours take a look at your live rock for little bits of rice like things running around on them.

Lastly how big is your tank? If you have a 50+ g tank (70 g would be better) and lots of live rock 1 lb per 1 g of water and you have pods running around then you don't have to do much. He will hunt for himself. But it is a good idea to get him to eat frozen food if you can Start with something small like brine shrimp. If you take a piece if 1" diameter pipe about 3" ling cap one end. Put the thawed and rinsed brine shrimp into the tube. Then place the tube in the back of the tank or where ever you see him hanging around the most after the lights go out. Try to keep an eye on the tube to see if you can see him go in. The tube dose a few things one it makes him feel more secure, keeps the shrimp from blowing away and keeps everyone else in the tank from eating the shrimp on him.

If you can't sneak a peak of him going in the tube leave it over night. Then pull the tube out carefully the next morning and see if there is any left.

Another way is with a Turkey baster and the shrimp but you need him to get used to the baster first be careful not to scare him or you will have a set back lol.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Wayne

OP
OP
T

TerryLowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few questions for you on some history. How long had the previous owner have the tank running?
They had it up for years, but had ups and downs. It was balanced with healthy fish when we purchased it

Next when you moved the tank did you keep any live rock the they had wet or submerged while you broke down and then set up your tank?
Yes, we kept the live rock submerged.

To make sure find a red lensed flashlight and after your lights have been out for a few hours take a look at your live rock for little bits of rice like things running around on them.
OK...will try that after I find a red lensed light.

Lastly how big is your tank?
125 gallons

But it is a good idea to get him to eat frozen food if you can Start with something small like brine shrimp.
Frozen brine shrimp. Got it. Thaw it and rinse it before feeding. With water from the tank?

If you take a piece if 1" diameter pipe about 3" ling cap one end. Put the thawed and rinsed brine shrimp into the tube. Then place the tube in the back of the tank or where ever you see him hanging around the most after the lights go out. Try to keep an eye on the tube to see if you can see him go in. The tube dose a few things one it makes him feel more secure, keeps the shrimp from blowing away and keeps everyone else in the tank from eating the shrimp on him.
GREAT idea. I will be setting that up this evening!

Another way is with a Turkey baster and the shrimp but you need him to get used to the baster first be careful not to scare him or you will have a set back lol.
I don't even have one of those! Yet.

Hope this helps
You have been soooo helpful! Thanks a ton!

Oliver_Klosoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thaw the shrimp in RO water if you have it. If you don't have an RODI try look into getting one. They are a must for when you get into Reefing (and you will lol).

I'm happy to help any way I can. I learnt all I know the same as you, talking to people on forums. Take in as many tips and suggestions as you can. It will make you a more rounded Salty.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back