Mandarin Goby acting funny.

COPE45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I recently got a mandarin goby. He went in and seemed great, was clearly eating copepods all day. Then all of a sudden after a few days he stopped and just went up bobbing in the corner.

I read that this was normal behavior to do at night (it’s doing it all the time). I also read that this can be a breeding behavior. My concern is it’s doing it all the time and I haven’t seen them eat in about 5 days now. I thought maybe all copepods were depleted so I got more and put them in the tank two days ago. Still nothing, no eating just bobbing in the corner. Sometimes near the top sometimes halfway up. Seems and looks healthy otherwise.

Anyone have any ideas?

OP
OP
COPE45

COPE45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3048.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi I recently got a mandarin goby. He went in and seemed great, was clearly eating copepods all day. Then all of a sudden after a few days he stopped and just went up bobbing in the corner.

I read that this was normal behavior to do at night (it’s doing it all the time). I also read that this can be a breeding behavior. My concern is it’s doing it all the time and I haven’t seen them eat in about 5 days now. I thought maybe all copepods were depleted so I got more and put them in the tank two days ago. Still nothing, no eating just bobbing in the corner. Sometimes near the top sometimes halfway up. Seems and looks healthy otherwise.

Anyone have any ideas?
This fish has become very thin and has either stopped eating or has internal issue and becoming weak as they do when they get this thin

OP
OP
COPE45

COPE45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it in an observation tank? I really can’t answer your concern as I’m lucky to see mine only as the lights dim out in the last 2 hours going over the top of the rock structures
No it’s in the main tank. First he was nowhere to be seen except for eating but now he’s just sitting in that corner.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got it eating again, found someone local who has a more established copepod population so I’m gonna give him to them. He’s eating now so should be strong enough to make the move.
Beautiful news!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back