Manderin not eating

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say I did it each time on the first or second day of the ttm so switched water every 3 days but I think that I read that was sufficient exposure time? Same with the prazi. If you think it’s worth to redose let me know please. I have one air stone in there. When I try to add a pump it blows him around. The ammonia has been reading zero every day I'm using prime just incase but there's a piece of live rock in there. & dosing microbacter 7 daily. He would still breath like that even when I put him in a fresh tank during ttm. I cant help but to think this is all related to the h202 bath but I cant imagine it traumatized him that much. When I put him in there he lost his mucuous coat or shedded it and flipped over in the water. The water was 10 degrees colder (my mistake). That was almost 3 weeks ago though. Prior to that he was very healthy active and eatting. I appreciate your time very much thank you!!
Unless you really mis-dosed the peroxide, that shouldn’t have caused this issue. If you want to give me the numbers (how much peroxide you added to how much water and how long the dip time was) I can double check them for you.
Likewise, a 10 degree temperature drop is a bit stressful, but won’t cause lasting trauma.

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you really mis-dosed the peroxide, that shouldn’t have caused this issue. If you want to give me the numbers (how much peroxide you added to how much water and how long the dip time was) I can double check them for you.
Likewise, a 10 degree temperature drop is a bit stressful, but won’t cause lasting trauma.
Ok thank you so much!! The dip was 30 minutes and it was 3mL 3% H202 in 1 cup saltwater.

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually I think it was 2.5mL in 2cups I cant remember exactly I know I followed humblefishs recommendations which is 1.25mL per cup

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually I think it was 2.5mL in 2cups I cant remember exactly I know I followed humblefishs recommendations which is 1.25mL per cup
I was going to say, 3 ml is an overdose for sure.

The problem is that this is a 150 ppm dose. It usually works ok, but fish species vary greatly in their sensitivity to peroxide. I just don’t know about mandarins.

I do question causation here, because you gave the dip due to symptoms, right? More likely the peroxide didn’t work, and the pre existing problem is still the main issue.

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say, 3 ml is an overdose for sure.

The problem is that this is a 150 ppm dose. It usually works ok, but fish species vary greatly in their sensitivity to peroxide. I just don’t know about mandarins.

I do question causation here, because you gave the dip due to symptoms, right? More likely the peroxide didn’t work, and the pre existing problem is still the main issue.
I was wondering about sensitivity to h202 I couldnt find anything online about that before dosing but I think he was sensitive to it. I only did the dip because I was trying to do httm as I qt all my fish and thats the only way I saw a manderin could be qt'd as I dont have cp. He had no symptoms before the dip but I think since he flipped over and shed his slime coat he reacted poorly. Is there anything to be done for h202 sensitivity reactions?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was the Mandarin fine before you started the process? Or did you suspect some sort of disease?
I'd go with Jay's advice before mine, but my first thought is that if the fish seemed healthy when you started the TTM QT that perhaps you should get him into a tank with no meds and observe. Maybe it's current state is due to sensitivity and/or stress?

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was the Mandarin fine before you started the process? Or did you suspect some sort of disease?
I'd go with Jay's advice before mine, but my first thought is that if the fish seemed healthy when you started the TTM QT that perhaps you should get him into a tank with no meds and observe. Maybe it's current state is due to sensitivity and/or stress?
It was totally fine prior. I stopped dosing anything for a few days and then did one dose of the kanaplex the other day just to see but I can definetely stop dosing that. I have been wondering to if it's stress related then I feel guilty doing nothing : /

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about sensitivity to h202 I couldnt find anything online about that before dosing but I think he was sensitive to it. I only did the dip because I was trying to do httm as I qt all my fish and thats the only way I saw a manderin could be qt'd as I dont have cp. He had no symptoms before the dip but I think since he flipped over and shed his slime coat he reacted poorly. Is there anything to be done for h202 sensitivity reactions?
Sorry, I thought you were using the dip to treat some symptoms. This does sound like causation then.

I don’t have any info on extended damage from peroxide. I don’t use peroxide very often because of a lack of solid references for it (just lots of internet posts).

Jay

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I thought you were using the dip to treat some symptoms. This does sound like causation then.

I don’t have any info on extended damage from peroxide. I don’t use peroxide very often because of a lack of solid references for it (just lots of internet posts).

Jay
Its ok! Thank you for the feedback I appreciate it! Hopefully he recovers!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back