Mangroves?

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if these fall under the genus of algae because they're trees, but I'm thinking about adding a few now that I'm open top on my display.

Any drawbacks?
Where is the best place to get them?
Do they export nutrients?

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only drawback is finding their leaves in the tank as they fall off. I looked into this a long time ago and if I remember correctly in order to see any real Benifits of mangroves in a system you would have to have just so so many. But if you are just doing it for looks I say go for it I love the way they look.

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only drawback is finding their leaves in the tank as they fall off. I looked into this a long time ago and if I remember correctly in order to see any real Benifits of mangroves in a system you would have to have just so so many. But if you are just doing it for looks I say go for it I love the way they look.
I was mostly going for the look and potential added benefits of having more house plants growing in the house.

luckylepgw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if these fall under the genus of algae because they're trees, but I'm thinking about adding a few now that I'm open top on my display.

Any drawbacks?

I got mine off eBay, 7 for $15. 1 did lose its top during shipping but the other 6 are nice

20190410_102203.jpeg

20190414_162417.jpeg

In the process of acclimating them to saltwater. I'm going for a mangrove macro algae display for my reef system. The leaves falling is the only real drawback i could find but as long as it's removed no big deal.

Got mine from this guy in Hawaii

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/361573432562

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Any drawbacks?

This is also on my bucket list and I plan to collect my own red mangrove propagules (a benefit of living in FL!). There is a helpful thread on R2R called "Mangroves!" that you might find helpful. Good luck and I would love to see pictures of your progress as it comes together!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any drawbacks?

No draw back
under a good light source
very little, more decorative and cool to have
I have mine in my sump were I have my bio media
IMG_5631.JPG

I found mine down at Long Boat Key in Florida and it took about a year for the first leaves to show. It is best to have some kind of substrate that the roots can attach to. @luckylepgw has also a great idea for growing mangroves

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They live in saltwater. Why do you need to acclimate them? They’re all over the place in my marina and stuck on my trim tabs when the boat comes out.

luckylepgw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They live in saltwater. Why do you need to acclimate them? They’re all over the place in my marina and stuck on my trim tabs when the boat comes out.

These were sprouted and kept in fresh water. This actually my second batch of mangrove. Salt shocked the first 5 as i thought they had been raised in salt. I asked this last guy what he grew his in so i didn't fry em lol

luckylepgw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No draw back
under a good light source
very little, more decorative and cool to have
I have mine in my sump were I have my bio media
IMG_5631.JPG

I found mine down at Long Boat Key in Florida and it took about a year for the first leaves to show. It is best to have some kind of substrate that the roots can attach to. @luckylepgw has also a great idea for growing mangroves

Thanks, I'm really digging the roots on these trees. I hopeing to get some really nice and interesting structure.

This is the a start of the mma tank (mangrove macro algae)
Bottom left- dragons breath/tounge
Back left of center- Mexicana fern(not really visibly in this pic)
Right- hummingbird octhodes

20190412_113503.jpeg

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to stick a few in the rocks across the top of my tank to poke out over my corals. Would be cool to have a bunch of them over the tank.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't be the primary source of nutrient export
In my tank they were added to a refugium chamber and I didn't notice any difference to my export. I did not run any special testing or get to scientific with it, I just happened to observe it.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm really digging the roots on these trees. I hopeing to get some really nice and interesting structure.

This is the a start of the mma tank (mangrove macro algae)
Bottom left- dragons breath/tounge
Back left of center- Mexicana fern(not really visibly in this pic)
Right- hummingbird octhodes

20190412_113503.jpeg

That is a great idea for a tank. I have seen some tank like this were members have the rock coming out of the top of the tank. Reef below the water line and planted above the water line.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank they were added to a refugium chamber and I didn't notice any difference to my export. I did not run any special testing or get to scientific with it, I just happened to observe it.

I think one would have to plant a hole grove to export any traceable amount of export. Some have said that they saw a loss of more magnesium. Since I dose I have not seen a decline of magnesium.

luckylepgw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great idea for a tank. I have seen some tank like this were members have the rock coming out of the top of the tank. Reef below the water line and planted above the water line.
Thank you, Tho my reef will be a separate tank feeding the mma display. I was actually thinking of doing a little rock work above the water line in the mma. Got to get more rock tho, not fully satisfied with the scape in the reef tank... Hexagon visible in all sides. Too many angles to get right lol.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Tho my reef will be a separate tank feeding the mma display. I was actually thinking of doing a little rock work above the water line in the mma. Got to get more rock tho, not fully satisfied with the scape in the reef tank... Hexagon visible in all sides. Too many angles to get right lol.

I would like to see that when your are done.

luckylepgw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I felt as though they left a little to be desired in the nutrient export category. That is just my personal experience though.
Yea, not great at nutrient export, I'm mainly using for scapeing. I love the art of bonsai and have wanted a bonsai mangrove tank for quite a few years now. The macro garden will compensate for the mangroves slack lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back