Mangroves

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plain and simple, has/does anyone use them and if so do you think they are useful at all... any tips or requirements that would be helpful to keeping them alive/ making them more effective in removing excess nutrients. Also, I have heard that macro algaes will typically die off with MB-7/Vodka dosing so would there be a concern with these as well making it entirely a waste of $ to have them in a system running those (aiming for a lower nutrient system, not necessarily ultra low tho)

Thanks!

Wasn't really sure where to put this one, mods please feel free to move if needed!

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have somein my fuge, it took for ever for them to start growing but when they do its like a weed, You need a ton to make a dent in your nutreint levels

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need to be pretty large to be an effective nutrient export and they use up your mag. Cheato (spelling) is probably your best bet and I've heard of people having success with turf scrubbers f you've got the room for it. I'm currently using mb7/biopellets and gfo and I'm seeing good results.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mangroves arent macro algae, they are a tree, and trees tend to grow 6"-3' a year depending on species, longetivity, environment, and full grown size. Mangroves in a low nutrient tank, as a long living tree that eventually gets huge should grow 3"-6" a year at a small size, then expand in speed from there.

SaltWaterDave

NEPA Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 10 Red Mangroves. They are growing well for me now and have good prop roots with about 3-5 leaves each. They have to be doing something for nutrient removal or they wouldn't be growing. I'm not sure how effective they are because I also have a huge ball of chaeto and another type of macro. I run my system skimmerless and have been for 2 years and I consistantly have great params and keep lots of SPS. They way I see it is they can't cause any harm and if you like the look of them then go for it. Yes, they also do suck up a lot of magnesium so when I dose I usually pour it directly in the fuge on their roots.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These were mine, I no longer have them. I took the hole tank down. I basically had about 4 inches of sand with a rock pile in the middle. They pretty much got spill light from the tank and through the blinds you see in the pics but the blinds were rarely open. They grew pretty fast for me.. You need to spray off the leaves from time to time.

I would say those are about a year old. Most people think they grow slow. I think mine may have grown faster than most because of the lower lighting. In nature they do not get allot of light on the mangrove floor and have to grow fast to get to it... Is theory true, who knows but it makes sense.

Did they do anything? I do not know how much but it sure did not seem to hurt.. They look nice though.. I also had several types of macro algae’s growing in there.

Dave Polzin

1408refuge.jpg

ScottCRRT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an order of red mangroves on their way. I was wondering how to mount them in my fuge. I have a little live rock in my fuge, but I was wondering if I should just prop them up, or set up some kind of egg crate to set them in. Any suggestions?

birdsnest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked a few off the beach while walking home from surfing and they took quite well to the overflow in my tank. I found that the higher water flow that passed by the roots made them grow fuller and with more tendrils. When I put them in the fuge with a slower flow rate they put out larger roots but fewer tendrils that suck the water of nutrients.

Back