0   0   0
So cool.
Always wanted one, I'm sure it'll destroy all my crustaceans in my reef tank

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 mantis hitchikers out pretty easily, but some luck is needed depending on which rock they make their home.

step 1: identify which rock the mantis has just hidden in and its entry point
step 2: put enough tank water into a bucket to cover the rock
step 3: take the rock out of tank and into bucket
step 4: lift rock and use a baster to spray water into the entry point until the mantis falls out into the bucket. You can start with the tank water, move to RO freshwater if needed, move to heated RO freshwater if needed.
step 5: donate to LFS

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 mantis hitchikers out pretty easily, but some luck is needed depending on which rock they make their home.

step 4: lift rock and use a baster to spray water into the entry point until the mantis falls out into the bucket. You can start with the tank water, move to RO freshwater if needed, move to heated RO freshwater if needed.
I'm happy to keep. In sump

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had a hitchhiking crab for 2 years only comes out when the room is pitch black kills all my snails

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seems the mantis know about this and don’t cooperate with step #3. They are always on the bottom of my reef so removing rock isn’t and option. Luckily I’ve gotten quite adept with my tweezers and have bagged 2 of them.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did a dip in RO water and forgot the GSP that was on it. Mantis didnt budge and there GSP didnt open for weeks. a fair bit died back

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a dip in RO water and forgot the GSP that was on it. Mantis didnt budge and there GSP didnt open for weeks. a fair bit died back
Agree, don’t dip the whole rock in RO water. I just mean that you fill the baster with tank water for a few tries, if no success try RO freshwater in the baster, if no success try some heater RO freshwater. You are just spraying the baster into the holes in the rock. Mine all came out easily this way.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, don’t dip the whole rock in RO water. I just mean that you fill the baster with tank water for a few tries, if no success try RO freshwater in the baster, if no success try some heater RO freshwater. You are just spraying the baster into the holes in the rock. Mine all came out easily this way.
If I had id'd it correctly he's not going to grow much more. It can stay where it is till it annoys me.
I see it more out and about now

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the mantis know about this and don’t cooperate with step #3. They are always on the bottom of my reef so removing rock isn’t and option. Luckily I’ve gotten quite adept with my tweezers and have bagged 2 of them.
You’ll never catch me alive, coppers!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back